Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 27, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just listed a bass for sale on Bassgear.com and Harmony Central and got the following response from a prospective buyer:

Greetings,
    Everything sounds well and am okay with the
    prize $900 and I will be offering you $1000 for it so
    i will want you to keep other buyer's off.Concerning
    payment I have a friend in the state who is ready to
    issue you a Certified Cashier's check in Usa funds
    since I don't have the funds in your currency. For
    convinient and easy transaction, I have a liable
    shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping
    as soon as you receive payment for the (BASS) .I will
    therefore need the following information of yours to
    forward to my friend before he sends the check.....
    NAME IN FULL........
    ADDRESS IN FULL..........
    STATE..............
    ZIPCODE........
    COUNTRY.........
    CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER.......
    I await your soonest reply
    MY REGARDS

This guy supposedly lives in the UK. I've heard about people being scammed lately from Harmony Central. I'm a little leery about going any farther with this transaction. Hope somebody here has some insight about this "offer". Thanks!

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's always a little weird when people offer more money than you're asking.

I'd streer clear of that one.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    It's a scam. Wait a little while and somehow Western Union will be involved, then they'll ask you to ship early... They're working eBay, too.

4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    +1

Tell him to spend the extra $100 and buy American Express Traveler's cheques. You can't be defrauded that way (they can be verified) and if they get "lost in the mail" they can be voided and replaced. Then you get your $900. There's NO reason why he shouldn't go for this and if he does, tell him to get bent.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Big time scam. I sold a bass on that site and these morons actually have an automated system that emails you asking stupid questions like the price and condition of the bass. Information that was already in your original ad. I mess with their heads by replying to the emails telling them that the price in the ad is my final price. They are getting pretty frustrated that I am not giving them my personal info. The ploy is to get you to send your personal information ( name, telephone number, address etc). Ignore these emails, or like in my case, email them just to piss them off!

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "Greetings,
    Everything sounds well and am okay with the
    prize $900 and I will be offering you $1000 for it so
    i will want you to keep other buyer's off.Concerning
    payment I have a friend in the state who is ready to
    issue you a Certified Cashier's check in Usa funds
    since I don't have the funds in your currency. For
    convinient and easy transaction
    , I have a liable
    shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping
    as soon as you receive payment for the (BASS) .I will
    therefore need the following information of yours to
    forward to my friend before he sends the check....."

What the hell language is this anyway.....ummm personally I think if you are going to try and scam someone, at least get someone with a good command of the English language to write your email. :meh:

7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk

:D Good one.

8. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I had someone hit me up with this same scam--and it is DEFINITELY a scam--on Ebay. Don't go any further with the transaction. (If you were even considering it by this point, that is.)

I'm not sure exactly how the scam works, but I heard from Ebay that it somehow involves phony cashier's checks drawn on either non-existent or out of the country banks. Ebay refunded my auction fees, since it was a fraudulent transaction. Not sure what bassgear.com's policy is....

Matt

9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Hey guys, thanks alot for your helpful replies. I figured this was too good to be true. I'm just going to ignore any more e-mails like this.

10. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Looks completely automated to me.....Note that the word (BASS) is in brackets, and the prices appear of the 'insert value here' variety. :eyebrow:

Its likley an attempt at either identity fraud, or a junk mailing scam. Also, remember that merely replying to the e-mail may result in spam city....

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

+1

Definitely identity fraud. The poorly put together story about the cashier's cheque and shipping agent is simply a ploy to get the seller to email personal info (name, address etc) to the scammers. Once the scammers receive your personal info, they try to obtain your social insurance no, new credit cards....you name it.

12. I have an ad posted on a local site looking for a Steve Harris bass, and today this is the mail I got...

This is the 2nd such mail I've got from somebody in the UK. Too bad they're not the rich people from Angolia where they will just send me the bass as long as I give them some help moving money out of their country. Hey Polkahero, maybe our Uk guys know each other and we can save on shipping lol.

13. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    LOL! Seriously doubt these guys are British! Especially given their *ahem* questionable ability to speak the language. ;)

Anti-spam laws are in effect here to help target this sort of thing. Truth is they could be from anywhere. Africa and Asia (India in particular) are both hotbeds for such laughable scams at the moment.

14. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    If I was a scammer then I would seriously consider voting these guys out at our next Scammers Club monthly meeting. Either that or make it mandatory that all members attend basic English grammar classes. Pitiful these scammer letters are (done in my best Yoda voice).

15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I guess people are getting wise the the Nigerian scam, so now they are switching to the UK. :rolleyes: