1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a SingRay5 or a knockoff?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChappieTime, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ChappieTime

ChappieTime

Jul 12, 2012
    mysterybass.

Not much to go on, but it looks like a StingRay 5. It doesn't look like there's anything on the head. Is it just a knockoff? How could one tell if so?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is an OLP. If you enlarge the picture, it says OLP on the headstock. The bass also does not have SR5 electronics.

3. its not a real one, but its a good one. i had the exact same bass up until it was stolen a few months ago. loved it dearly.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is clearly an OLP, it is an Officially Licensed Product, so it is a legal rip off.

I'd play it first, I haven't played the 5s but the 4's I have had the chance to play were absolutely terrible, the pickup was anemic sounding and both I saw had many dead spots. They were barely worth the $100 that was paid for them.

Some people had different experiences than me, but I would certainly not buy it sight unseen. Give it a thorough testing before you take it home.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Yes ... it is a legal stingray but it is not an Ernie Ball Musicman bass

Musicman pulled the plug on the OLP basses and they are no longer being made.

Put a good preamp in that bass and it will sound similar to a Musicman.

6. ill say this:

the maple fretboard versions (the old ones) sound legit. the rosewood FB versions with the pearl PG are complete garbage. 4 string or 5 string. i got more compliments with that same bass than i can remember. people were asking to use it for session work. i paid 215 for mine, and i'd pay that again to have it back.

the key is to turn one of the volume knobs down. i go with the bridge side. and then BOOM. MIDS. in your face.