Is this a speaker cable ??? instrument ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by himluis1, Oct 14, 2021.

1. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    Is this a speaker cable or instrument ??? it had two 1/4” connectors and i tried changing it to speakon on one end … i has very low volume … i then took the 1/4” end and attached to the other speaker cable i had with two speakons (one i took off for the first cable ) and now i get good volume … the original cable that had 2 speakons is 12 gauge … B47F4B7A-A4FB-4DEC-BBF6-9214A60BA660.jpeg 17BF3A22-4AFA-4056-BD5D-EEEA43690A61.jpeg 3FA31601-9CA3-4AF5-B29C-404E67FB9351.jpeg EE5095DF-02A5-476A-AB53-FF40810BB828.jpeg

dbase likes this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Speaker cable, but the plugs you are using are knock-off plugs that are notorious for intermittent problems.

Suggestion… use genuine Neutrik plugs.

Ed Byrnes, Coot, Paco Leon and 41 others like this.
  3. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Question asked and answered by an expert.
    In the real world this thread would be finished...... but in TB world we'll probably get another 4 or more pages of posts. :roflmao:

villegastx, Ed Byrnes, petch and 30 others like this.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    When you open the cable, the wires show you if it is a speaker or instrument cable.

https://www.realtimeaudio.ca/blog/difference-between-speaker-cable-instrument-cable/

A speaker wire will have two colors inside the outer jacket. When wiring a speakon cable, look for markings on the connector. [+1] should be the wire from the ¼” tip on the other end, [-1] should be the sleeve. This keeps the phase wiring of the speaker correct.

This soldered connection is not done well. The red wire joint has black impurities. Even worse though, the upward hump puts the tip too close to the metal cover which is the shield. This can cause a short.

572C504A-5FEC-4ECB-B3A3-671B71A3E87E.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    Also the crimp is on the wires, should be on the sheathing/jacket.

6. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    ok so i had 2 wires a speakon to speakon and a 1/4” to 1/4”
    before soldering i tried removing one of the 1/4” from the 1/4”to1/4” and just add a speakon conector since those are screw ons so … the result really low volume … then proceed to solder a 1/4” tip on the original speakon to speakon cable (the bad solder pic lol) and I had normal volume , later on decided to check it again and with the same cable original speakon one and had low to no volume … switched speaker cables and same … well decided to use a different instrument cable and had normal volume with both speaker cable 1 & 2 … hopefully nothing got damaged in this process … i will fully test everything tonight … but if it works it works right ???

7. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Well, the OP's question was accurately answered early on, but I'm going to pile on about the quarter-phone plug as well. I'll venture a guess that this has been recently fabricated by a non-professional, and I offer as evidence: the scrap of outer jacket on the floor in the first pic, the poor termination itself, and finally, the absence of the back shell. I think if the back shell were there, this quarter-phone termination would not work. As pictured, it probably will work for a while, but the quarter-phone obviously needs to be re-terminated.

Edit: I'm glad to see the OP's 'confession' confirms my theory about the non-professional soldering job. I'd highly advise trying to rework this quarter-phone termination, or you'd probably be better off just buying the prefabricated cable that you need. Soldering 16-gauge speaker wire to a quarter-phone is a bit more tricky than some other soldering jobs -- it takes a seasoned hand, IMO.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    This may be semantic/pedantic, but in my world, if it’s not Neutrik, it’s not SpeakOn. Those other brands are just “locking connectors” that may or may not work.

Real Neutrik connectors are nearly foolproof. Just make sure you cut back to stranded cable, without any solder.

Don’t cheap out on vegetables, tires, or speaker connectors. The $$ savings are simply not worth the !*@! headaches.

9. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Also check your polarity - I would think that white would usually be used as "+" on this cable, but would make no difference if hooked up correctly. Also, check the Speakon for polarity - I have found that these "aftermarket" Speakon connectors are poorly labeled.

himluis1 likes this.
  10. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    i had all those wires with me … wasn’t really looking for a discount or knock offs … my main concern is the bass amp head and cab not getting damaged … is my first time trying to make stuff up with wires and connectors ….

11. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Well that quarter-phone termination could very well short out -- that would present a very real risk of damage to your amp. The cab will be fine.

Buy what you need and steer clear of anything that doesn't actually say Neutrik on the Speakon connector. Did you put that one on that cable? I'm asking because I'm a little surprised to see a counterfeit NL4 on a ProCo cable -- they generally have a pretty good reputation.

agedhorse and himluis1 like this.
  12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 8.11.21 AM.png
    Hmmm

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It's definitely a speaker wire. If it doesn't work after you wired a Speakon connector on it, either the connector is not good (as per Agedhorse's input), or you wired it wrong. There are 2 and 4 pole Speakon connectors, so some knowledge of what you're plugging it into, and how to wire it is key - they're not quite as simple as 1/4 inch plugs.

Al Kraft, Boomhowertx and himluis1 like this.
  14. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    yes i added that one myself

Redbrangus likes this.
  15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    OP, I’m confused by your references to “instrument cable”. I don’t see any pictured, and you certainly don’t want to use them for amp to speaker wiring. If you were simply switching instrument cables between your guitar and the amp input, that should have no bearing on the speaker cables. However, a bad instrument cable can cause lowered volume and all kinds of other noise that can be heard through the speaker. If the problem is in your instrument cable, you likely didn’t do any harm. If it’s in the speaker cable though, much harm potential.

Boomhowertx and himluis1 like this.
  16. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Can we add coffee and toilet paper to your list?

17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    And video game controllers!!!

ctmullins likes this.
  18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Wow .. now here's an answer I know... It's speaker wire. ;)

Al Kraft, CryingBass and himluis1 like this.
  19. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    so what’s the easiest or best way to know if I did caused harm ?

20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I had to post... well... just because I thought I had something intelligent to add.... I guess I was wrong.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021