Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a string question or a pickup question?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by whyusofunky, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I recently purchased a G&L LB100 bass from ebay. It looks great and sounds great for the most part, but I realized during rehearsal yesterday that my D and G string sound very quiet. So I raised my pickup to see if that would help the problem. It seemed to help a little but not much. I noticed that the strings that came with the bass are a very light gage string. Could this be my problem. Please send me some feedback. I absolutely love this bass and want to get a consistent sound, Thanks

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A little heavier string may help you some, but IIRC, the LB100 is a P-bass knock off with the split PU.

It may be that the treble side PU is simply weak.

3. If the treble side PU is weak would that require new PU's or is that somthing that I could get fixed?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Replacing the PU is probably the most cost-effective solution. You might try messing with the heights a bit more. Higher doesn't always mean louder. There is usually a sweet spot in there somewhere where you get max output.

If you can afford to give up the headroom, you can also lower the bass PU side a bit to better balance the overall output and use more input gain to compensate. This isn't ideal. You may introduce a little more noise and the frequency response may be a little less than it might be otherwise, but you would have a better output balance throughout the notes on the guitar.

5. Thanks for all the help. I'll just have to tinker with it a bit. I'll start by changing the strings, adjust the height of the PU and see what happens. I'll post an update in the near future. Thank god this is my backup bass. I would be going insane if this was my only bass.