1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a stupid idea?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I have just made a custom "Money" Sound Effects track. It has the cash registers, exactly where they go, and many of the "I certainly was in the right," "that geezer was crusin' for a bruisin'" pretty close to where they go. I didn't have all the samples, but many of them.

So my idea is this:

We're fairly technology challenged. I have this five disc changer that plays mp3 discs for break music, and I'm scared to death that if I put this on a disc, and put it in there, someone, (or me,) will put on the wrong track, and instead of my sound effects, we'll get a break song, or something.

So I thought I'd put the track on a portable mp3 player, and just run that into its own channel on the board, and I'd hit play, start the song where it starts, and if we play at the right tempo, (the tempo is set by the cash registers, so all we have to do is play the 4/4 break at the right tempo, and the ending parts will land about where they should.)

I just tried it, with just me, and it worked! I actually was singing "away... awaaay..." right about where the voices started. If we played too fast, I'd have to milk that ending a few seconds before they started, so the only worry is if we drag tempo, which is not our usual problem.

But I mean, is this stupid?

Personally I think it's cool, but I thought I'd solicit some opinions.

Don't be your usual mild-mannered talkbass posters; really go ahead and post what you think this time.

:D

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No, its not stupid at all.

Id probably handle it similarly, or have our keys player do the sound effects.
    We do a cover of Floyd's Happiest Days of our Live into Another Brick in the Wall and have our keys player do the helicopter sounds.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

I just tried this with our "fill-in" drummer. The entire band was AMAZED. They said, "how did you get the part at the end to come in at the right time?" and I said, "it appears we played the song at the right tempo."

It was very satisfying for me, to be singing "away... away..." etc, and have that "yeah, I was in the right" come floating in.

Besides; that old geezer WAS cruising for a bruising.