Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this adding wattage or distributing it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Feb 22, 2001.

1. heres my situation....

ive only played small gigs and thats all ill be playing for a long time, so my Hartke 90 watter is doing great for now, but i decided to try and make my amp louder for now so i can wait a little longer til i have to upgrade.

i got a cable and through my "line out" port on my Hartke B90 and plugged that into my Ibanez practice amp through the "input" slot. so now im runnin a 1x15 and a 1x10. it sounds great and all, but i was wonderin somethin....

now that i have those two runnin together, am i just runnin 90 watts through both distribtued or am i runnin 114 watts (my ibanez practice amp is 24 watts)?

just wonderin....

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    If you're running both amps at maximum, then you'll be getting 114 watts. The Line Out jack on your Hartke sends you're pre-amp bass signal over to the other amp, so you running both amps as if you were physically plugged into both of them (well, almost the exact same, though depending upon how the Hartke is setup then the Line Out jack may be sending out you're EQ settings and whatnot but that's beside the point).

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You are shaping your signal with your bigger 90 watter and using the 24w amp as your power amp!! hehe now that is funny. :) One thing that you might be able to do (which if you can will be more effective) is use a SPEAKER OUT jack (if ya have one) to another cab.

The way it usually works is you get a 90w amp that gives you 90w through a 4ohm speaker, and they plug a 8 ohm speaker into it so you are getting maybe 60w. So you go grab a 1x15 cab or something that is rated at 8 ohms, plug it into the speaker out. Your internal 8 ohms and the external 8 ohms when used together give you a total output ohmage of 4 ohms and hence you get your full 90w (also with more speaker area you are pushing more air).

Hope it helps!!