1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this amp ok for small gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Is this big enough for a small gig?

Or should I stick with my 180W combo?

2. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    Link doesn't work.

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Fixed!

4. eyecandy

eyecandy

Jul 28, 2009
    depends on the venue dude.. for small pub gigs 100-200w would be enough

5. For a small pup gig without a heavy handed drummer and without a Marshall stack it would cover it{assuming there is no p.a. support}.

6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    The real cost for bass ampfication is a heavy handed drummer. The plus side, I get a bigger amp.

7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I hate to sound rude, but I don't get this sentence at all!

8. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Depends how small your definition of a small gig is. I personally would use a 2-300 watt amp at least.

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    We are only looking to play very small places :)

I got a couple of small issues with my combo, firstly it's so heavy and I live on the 2nd floor with no lift! And secondly, it shakes my bedroom floor on the lowest audible volume, and my neighbours aren't gonna be terribly amused with me!

10. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    I agree with everyone else, but it does depend on your music. If your drummer is a gorilla you might not have enough power. From your avatar it looks like you might be a metal guy. If that's the case the drummer and the guitar player(s) are gonna be a problem.

11. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    That is a cute little amp but its only 100w which is
    Coffee Tea shop good but not Pub gig good. If I were you I would consider a 4x10 cab with a 300w to 500w head. Some 2x10 cabs are better but shop around and try out all that you can in music shops and then decide. I've looked at some UK web sites and i noticed that Ashdown is a major make as is Marshall (which I love for guitar) .......keep looking and have fun......:cool:

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I didnt get to post the entire text... I use a 2x10 with 250 watts for small gigs. 50 to100 people is fine depending on the room acoustics and most importantly, the drummer. Gigs with over 100 people, I move up to 4x10's at 500 watts. The real cost for bass ampfication is a heavy handed drummer. The plus side, I get to buy a bigger amp.

What you are using will be fine if your drummer is not overpowering you.

13. i was actually considering buying one of those when i get the money. its better than lugging my bassman around all the time. it will do for verry small gigs with a bit of p.a help. but cos its a ashdown it will do well and last forever

14. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I am a metal head, but the band I'm playing in is in more of a classic rock vein. The drummer doesn't hit massively loud... somewhere in the middle.

I would love to go up to 300 or 500W but besides the considerable cash that I would have to lay down for that, my neighbour wouldn't be terribly amused... my 180W combo shakes the floor on the lowest volume! I could keep both if I had the space, but I live in a tiny apartment :(

Ah man.... I love Ashdown - they're probably the only amps I would buy. Sweet sounding, reliable...

15. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    It looks similar to the Ampeg Micro SVT but with a little less power. I know people who have use the little ampegs for practice and small gigs and the work well......depending on drummer and gutair volumes. I played smaller gigs with a Carvin BR15 with a neo speaker I picked up cheap. It only has a 120 watts but the 15" speaker gave me plenty of low end. It weighed under 40lbs which was nice. That was with a band thea played blues & classic rock stuff. So you might try out a few neo-15 combos as well