1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this amp tone or TV tone.....or bass tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by will33, Aug 17, 2012.

1. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    At maybe 3:40 or so, fhere's a band shot but it's quick. What amp is this? Or it is an amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Got no clue, but man, what a fun clip! Les Paul and Chet Atkins...whoa were they good!

3. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I got that LP on vinyl when it came out. Still sounds really good!

4. At 4:20 it looks like a Ampeg B15 or some variant.

5. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Based on the fact it was 1978 I would imagine it was a miced amp. Probably an Ampeg from the looks of it. Also, Gene Shalit was an idiot! He introduced the bass player as "the other guitar".

6. Once you understand his right elbow is fused it makes Les' playing even more impressive.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If you look at the shadow outline of the amp it is a fliptop of some kind variant. B-15 or the smaller brother (12?) can't remember the name now. I can't remember if the post Ampeg Oliver amps looked that way or not.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Holy impressive playing Batman at the end of the video.

9. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    That's some sick playing there, all around. Dig the Paulverizer looper trick, too. Not to mention the "can it Mr Fuzzhead, we're just gonna rock balls for a while and you're not gonna stop us" attitude. :bassist::D

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I still can't make out if there's a mic'd amp there or if it's just the bass run through the TV broadcast mix board.

But yeah, that's some playin' man.

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Chet and Les recorded with a open studio mic on their 2 albums so you can hear their comments during and after the songs. lol These guys tied for #1 guitarist in my book, long before jimi or jeff. Both the albums are killer, their interaction call/response classic. When I heard chet play 3 songs simultaniously, I decided to follow a career in bass ;)
    My guess an Ampeg b12. One maybe 2 studio mics.