1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Ampaholics Anonymous?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beans-on-toast, Dec 14, 2018.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Hello, my name is David, and I'm an Ampaholic
    I have uncontrollable GAS
    Some call me an Ampig

I joined the Portaflex Club for support
    But there I'm encouraged to indulge
    I have dreams of extension cabinets
    dancing in my head.

Now I've got my eye on an SB-12
    What can I do
    I've got the Ampaholic's blues.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

beans-on-toast likes this.
  3. If you have the where with all to indulge in an extension cabinet or two or even a new to you vintage amp go for it!! :hyper:

smogg and beans-on-toast like this.
  4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    In life, the older you get, the longer the list of things that you can no longer indulge in. :laugh:

wesonbass, REV, armybass and 3 others like this.
  5. Like women!! :(

S-Bigbottom and beans-on-toast like this.
  6. Yup, I would rather look at a pair of speakers and an amp with nice knobs. :wideyed:

7. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    I only want one more cab then I'm done.

8. Hi , my name is Sharkbait and I am an ampaholic and have fallen off the wagon recently. I was doing great for several years. I had a couple of rigs that were serving me well. Then the urge hit me again and I picked up an 8 10 cab and was doing OK for a while. Great , I had it all i thought. Then , out of nowhere , another 8 10 cab became available and I bought it. I thought this would be it. Then some horrible enabler put a complete SVT Classic rig up for sale at a ridiculously low price and I was once again sucked into the trap. Sadly , I didn't even try to resist it. I didn't need three cabs , but with the sonic heaven I was pushed into , I thought for sure that this was the end of my addiction and for several years it was. Then an old adversary (my back) started whispering to me "You need something lighter." Not wanting to give in to my addiction again , I avoided any action. The whispers turned into demands and the demands turned into screams that sometimes kept me awake at nights. Finally , about a year ago I fell off the wagon again and indulged in a PF 500 head. Just one little head couldn't hurt , right? All was well for a while and then the whispers started again. First only a few times a day , then more and more often. I considered therapy and possibly institutionalization but alas , I simply gave in to the voices in my head and bought a 2 12he cab. The voices have gone away and my family is being very supportive. I am hoping that this has cured me and I am attending meetings regularly here at T.B.(yeah , like you guys are any help.;))
    Beware my friends , it is indeed a slippery slope that we live on. I fear most of us are doomed to a life of ampaholic addiction.
    BUY THE DARN CAB. Wait , where did that come from? I didn't say it. Are you hearing the voices too?:jawdrop:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    They say that swimming is supppsed to help your back. The weight of diving gear probably doesn’t help.

Maybe an 810 step program would help.

10. :eyebrow:

lmao

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You must write "Refrigerator" 2430 times.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Me too, Beans. Me too. The first thing I look for when i log on to TB is who is having a "NAD Ampeg SVT".

I'm jonesing BAD for an SVT, and the SVT-VR that I recently tried out only has made it worse. The Heritage SVT-CL with the matching Heritage 810E is also causing me fits.

One day, one day.........

13. GreyMark

GreyMark

Jun 22, 2018
    I feel I am on the dark side at the moment. I liked to just look and compare a few different kinds of amps and cabinets. It all seemed so innocent. Now I will 1/4" jack you in the cone if I don't think you are pulling your weight.

People who used to talk to me don't answer my calls anymore. I sometimes dress my speaker cabs in bowties and give them a little tea party. We have fun!

14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Whenever I go into a music store, I hand my wallet over to my wife. That helps relieve my temptation.

12BitSlab and GreyMark like this.
  15. Is that where you put your 610 between your 410 & 810?

16. I'm in :(
    Last night I used my V4B, I thought, at 100w, and already owning a 200w and 300w tube amps, that this might be the last time that I use it, and that it'd be up for sale soon. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    So, feckin funny! :spit:
    It sounded superb.
    It wasn't a heavy lug,
    and it only served to remind me that I AM an addict, and there's certainly a place for it in my arsenal :crying::crying::crying:
    Oh woe is me:lock:

mikewalker and beans-on-toast like this.
  17. smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Jul 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH

I think that's where you drag an 810 cab up as many steps as it takes to suppress your GAS. May need to be repeated many times...

18. Well in that case I don't have a problem. My amps are in my bassment, so I carry them downstairs. I just brought a new cab downstairs today actually.

19. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    They call that process a-tone-ment, a reparation for a wrong.

People go through financial atonement when the buy and sell gear too often because they don’t like the way it sounds.

20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    It’s nice to go shopping amongst your own gear and rediscover what you already have. I do that with CD’s all the time.

hennessybass, murphy and rodl2005 like this.