1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Ampeg 8x10 authentic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJHS-1stTrumpet, Jul 19, 2008.

1. AJHS-1stTrumpet

AJHS-1stTrumpet

Jan 5, 2007
    Hey folks, I'm probably bugging you guys with questions, but I have one more. Below are pictures of what is advertised as a vintage ampeg 8x10. It's obviously had better days. Does this look authentic to the experts out there? Your help is greatly apprecaited! :)

a3d2_1.jpg
    a5c6_1.jpg
    a75d_1.jpg

2. nope

I think they switched the grille AND added some different speakers

the body looks right though

3. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    not too much original on that if it really WAS a vintage ampeg cab.

If it was and you want the classic ampeg sound that those older cabs give, I'd just pay for the cab and expect to have to pay more for the older speakers on ebay or something.

It just doesn't look like it would give you that same tone, I could be wrong though.

A lot that isn't original on that I think.

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What are those diamond shaped marks or ports on the front? Those aren't natural.
    Unless it's free just find a nice one. Too much has happened to that puppy in the way of alterations. The only thing that looks authentic are the cups in the top of the cab. Push one left speaker. If the right one moves is might be an SVT but dude I'd walk away. You may not ever be able to sell it. Free? For me that would still be a maybe.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes the speakers are all mismatched in age and possibly type. Too many modifications for me.

6. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the shell looks right for a pre speak-on ampeg (with the cups on top for the heads feet), but yeah those all or mostly replacement speakers and grill. those diamond shape things are weird. they look like were the horns are on a madison cab or something. http://www.thevintagesound.com/store/madison-ml810-8x10-bass-cabinet-p-506.html

it's pedigree looks a little odd, i see skid pads, is there a kickplate? are there dolley wheels? no handles?

7. Looks like a vintage piece o' crap. Don't buy it, you'll most likely be stuck with a real problem.

8. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    its a project !!! its a square back 810 from the 70s . as fro the speakers no one on here can say they arent originals that have been re coned over the years . the towel bar on the back is a later add on and so is the skid rails . the grill is expanded metal from a hardware store . actually the grill mod is quite common ... look at some kiss pictures of genes old rig ..... im sure if you are planning on recone or replacing the speakers that you WILL have an awesome cab . take time restoring it and youll be rocking . as it siits now it may be un useable . the horns in the front MUST BE REMOVED .... lol lol its ampeg rules ,,,, no horns in square back cabs .... :) much less 3 .... there will be some work on repairing the dividers that would have been cut to install the horns , but it can be done with little effort or carpentry skills .... if its cheap get it and restore it , i would if it were close to birmingham al .

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    You can find vintage Ampeg 810s for a few hundred bucks with a little patience. Restoring this one makes no sense to me.

10. AJHS-1stTrumpet

AJHS-1stTrumpet

Jan 5, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the opinions. I was a bit skeptical. Oh well.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't think those are horns, just blocks of wood to support the grill.

12. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    they definitely look like horns or tweeters to me. Especially with their placement, and I just think it looks like it dips down in the center like a horn or tweeter as well.

Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. :meh:

though it is still an interesting thought...

13. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    How much is he asking for it?

Like someone else said if you wait you will find a lot of 810s on craigslist.

Someone was selling two 70s svt's for 300 a piece by me. You will find them anywhere from like 800 down to like 300 (lowest ive seen)

14. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    im undecided now , those may be blocks of wood for grill support . the one in the middle appears to have some depth to it ????

15. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    He's correct.
    It is legit.
    In sad shape, now but it is a Ampeg.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021