Is this an absurd bridge and scale length idea?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tekhna, Feb 1, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I don't know if you guys have seen the new hipshot bridge, or pieces lock.htm

Pretty cool, makes 6+string bass construction easier, don't need bridges milled.

So I had an idea, and tell me if this is absurd and would screw everything up. Pretend you have a 5 string bass being constructed with a 34" scale length. Could you take 5 of these, and set them up in a staggered fashion, having the G be at 34", and from there moving them backward, so the low B is 1 inch behind the G (At 35")

Like this

Or just like this

Would that totally mess up harmonics, pickup placement, etc.?
    I am just thinking of the way a 35" B is usually tighter than a 34", so does this make any sense, or has this been tried and failed?
  2. schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks like fanned frets. Dingwall does basses like that. It seems like an interesting idea, on which I need to better educated myself.
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    ABM has made single string bridges like this for a while. I guess the bolt through the bottom is Hipshot's twist.

The first scheme will work if you fan the frets. Ralph Novak holds the patent for "fanned frets". He charges I think $55 or something licensing fee if you use it.

The second scheme.... probably won't work. Your fingerboard is slotted to a fixed scale.
  4. The first one definatlely looks like a fanned fret bridge.
    IIRC the lisence fee from Novax is $75, anyway, the fee also provides you w/ detailed instructions and assistance