1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this an early stingray case? Looks like a '62 fender? pics.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, May 9, 2010.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So I got all excited because I bought, what I thought was a '61 or '62 Fender bass case...it looks exactly like the real thing.
    Brown leather ends, white piping, orange plush, leather pull tab. Identical except, the tolex is plastic white fake tweed pattern, not the rough blond tolex.
    I will try to get my camera working to take pics..but does this sound like a real fender case? Did they ever make a tweed tolex?
    The hinges are made in England and are Chenex or Cheney.
    Did any other company's copy Fenders design and use fake tweed?
    Thanks

2. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    That could be it...its definitely cordouroy.
    They are white?
    So it still may be worth a few bucks?

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender cases in 61/62 would be tan with brown ends or white with black ends tolex in the normal tolex patter, no tweed or simulated tweed.

The white cordouroy pattern tolex with brown leather ends is a preEB musicman case. I have one that came with my '81 StingRay. Very cool case, and yeah rare. Yes they were also made by G&G.

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I paid 50$ for it...its solid, but a bit rough. Latches snap back perfectly tho, I'll post some pics tonight.

5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Bump for pics....sure looks like an early sixties case doesn't it?

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Texture isn't right, according to this guy: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

"From mid-1959 to 1961 the exterior of the Fender case changed. A new material called "Tolex" was now used, in a coffee-with-cream type brown color. Tolex is a rough rubber-like compound that was much more durable than tweed. Brown leather ends stayed the same. The interior burnt-orange plush used from 1958 stayed until about 1961 when the interior of the cases changed to a dark orange plush."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks Corey..I already saw that..its how I found out it wasn't a '62 Fender..I am now thinking it might be a pre-ernie ball stingray case.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    For $50 I'd take either ;)

9. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks Bob..thats it!

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, that's the same preEB case I have too.

The blonde cases were very rare as most came with either the black tolex or torpedo plastic cases.

11. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So what would be a fair asking price if I was ever going to sell it?