1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this an envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Diaper Geni, Dec 2, 2017.

1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Love this tone. And if so, which one would get me close to this tone?

Reason I ask is I've had a few EF's in the past but they get lost is the mix. They sound good at home, though! But on a gig, not so much.

Can any of you pedal geeks help a somewhat newbie out? Thanks in advance!

smperry likes this.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Sounds like envelope filter - an envelope filter that's not opening too much, like "woh" instead of "waow", if that makes any sense! It also sounds a bit like an EHX BassBalls-type voicing, but fuller.

An MXR Bass Envelope Filter with the sensitivity set fairly low might get you there. I can get my EHX Q-Balls to sound like that, but the MXR is smaller and probably easier to dial in.

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  3. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    Dude. I just got enlightened! Wow! Thank you for posting this.

4. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, it's an envelope filter that just barely opens with moderate resonance. You can hear a little bit of vowel like timbre on some notes. He is doing a great job using his attack to control the envelope.

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my new moog drive arrives today and i guess it's got some kinda filter, not sure if it's an envelope either

6. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Hmmmm...I had the MXR BEF and it just didn't seem to cut through. Is the BassBalls a little "thinner" sounding? That may be what I'm looking for.

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    BassBalls can be VERY thin if you're not careful (to the point where cutting through might not be a problem, but only for the sharp top end). I like to turn the internal trim pots both all the way left to keep the most meat in the sound. One nice alternative is the Aguilar Filter Twin - two countersweeping filters like the bassballs, but way less sharp and thin, with more control over said filters.

8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I don’t mind filters, but I MUCH prefer the effectiveness of a Wah pedal. I’m a bit of a control freak, and once you put the time in to learn to use it well, there’s no substitute.

9. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    If you don’t want to use a Wah, here’s a little tip; use a compressor after your filter. It helps to slot it better.

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've never owned a single pedal but used many envelope filters on many multifx (Boss ME8B&GT6B, Zoom 708/708ii/B2.1u/MS60B) and I've never had a problem finding an expressive tone that still keeps the low end meat and overall bass presence. A wisely used blend knob goes a long way.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  11. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Good advice from everybody.

Thanks!

12. I must be going deaf, I hardly hear any bass in the video. For funk you want that Q-tron, you can shape so many sounds with it!

13. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Make sure you listen in some "real" speakers. It's not and in your face tone, though. But believe me, it's there! And he's freakin' killin' it. Funky as H@LL!!

So I'll do some research. Q-Tron and BassBalls (Nano?) on the list.

14. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Actually, "keeping the meat" - that is, the low end - should be easy with any low-pass envelope filter or any band-pass envelope filter with a blend that doesn't have phase inversion issues.

smperry likes this.
  15. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    If you're going to have the Q-Tron on the list, as quirky and peaky as it can be (at least the older big-box version), plus the fact that it's 24v tip-positive and BIG, you should have the Q-Balls on the list, too, IMO.

smperry likes this.
  16. Yeah I am listening through small PC speakers :)
    Q-Tron is great, besides from the envelope/whah sounds you can also get a nice crunchy (for lack of a better word) sound with that effect. The settings has some very nice 'sweetspots', I personally like it with low gain so that the effect does not sound like overkill.

mike o, FilterFunk and Bo0tsy like this.
  17. If you prefer the sound of a wah to a filter, but still want it "automated" then check out the Snow White Autowah or one of its clones.

18. What is that song he's playing along to? Superfunky!

19. The band is called Mantra and the song is 'Boogie to boogie'.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  20. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Nice! Is that the older or newer Q-Tron? Also, is the mic not picking up all the low end? Sounds like it should be deeper, especially as I recall the Q-Tron, and I'm listening through good headphones.

Bo0tsy likes this.