1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this an example of Chuck Rainey playing behind the beat...(strange recording)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Here he plays with a Latin America soloist, andres calamaro...Do you listen to it as behind the beat???
    I know he plays very relaxed, is this an example of playing behind??

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    No.

Sounds like MIDI drums, or replaced drums (a la Drumagog or the like). If the bass was tracked live, probably Beat Detective'd, and looped.

3. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    When I think Chuck Rainey, I actually think of him tending to play on top a lot, depending on the records. That's just my association with him.

Maybe he is a hair behind, but it's a really subtle difference. You CAN play behind the beat while the drum machine is looped or whatever. I think better examples are any Bob Marley recordings, George Porter Jr with the Meters, Pino with D'Angelo. At least they're more obvious examples. Bootsy, Me'shell Ndegeocello, too.

Larry Graham is nice and behind here

4. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    any more?

5. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Actually, I think that's perfect example of sitting steadily on back of the beat.

Incidentally, this can be done with a simple recording technique. Play a part as dead center as possible and then move it back 1/64th note. It won't sound off, but it'll change the whole feel of the song.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    You want behind the beat?

The chorus gives me a heart attack every time.

7. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    That just sounds off.

8. It's definitely an acquired taste if you don't grow up with it. Here are a couple more examples:

edit: couldn't find the other example I was looking for.

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    That sounds different to me -- it's loose, but it kinda grooves. The other track sounds like the parts were recorded separately and it just wasn't syncing.

10. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I can`t wach it, do you have other link?

11. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    You are refering to the chuck rainey bass line?? So you agree it`s behind the beat?

12. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Yes, but not so much that it bogs it down -- just enough to deepen it.

13. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    :D
    Don`t get mad! It`s my poor english, I am not so slow