Is this an original '60 jazz???? Low Price!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smoove-Groove, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    That looks pretty legit, be it not nearly enough photos to even come close to confirming anything.
    Also 1500 is a steal even being re finished as it is, however as with most things to good to be true they are just that, so I'd just say go fourth with caution.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know vintage, but even if it has been refinished, isn't that a steal by several thousand dollars? At least? Usually when something's too good to be true......

30yobass and JakeyBran like this.
  3. Yeah. Thats what I am thinking. But it does look legit in a way, with the stacked pots and ground strap. And yes, it's should cost a lot more.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Don't worry, I made sure to tell them to get an appraisal.

;) :D

SasquatchDude likes this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Well those details can EASILY be faked. I'm not saying this is faked, but as SamanthaCay suggests, Alot more/better photos are needed to really get a feel if it's legit, even for $1500.

6. Arizona Jones likes this.
  7. Ah... I see.
    Well now it looks like it went from Michigan to Toronto and is being sold for less than half the winning bid price. Ha ha!!!
    Fishy indeed.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Probably a fake ad

9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I tend to think that is a fake. I have never seen a neck plate like that. that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I'd be suspicious. And the price is WAY too low. Even for a refin.

stacker likes this.
  10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    They pop up all the time, and are always fake.

11. The ground strap is wrong for a legit 1960. It should be thinner, and slanted. See Jacos BOD, John Paul Jones' jazz, etc. for what it should look like. Or, the Japanese fender reissues.

That ground strap looks like it's from the AVRI series, straight and wide.

Neck looks legit (or a well done fake).

Body should have holes for the felt mutes and bridge cover, as they were all installed at factory back in the day. Could be filled in, but the pictures suck.

All the rubbish on the neck plate I "think" is embossed on the clear plastic body cover.

12. Zoomed in, and even with the beyond crappy pic, I think I see the holes I was looking for.

Still think it's bogus though

13. And.......

Now that I looked at the original eBay listing, I think it's legit. The ground strap is actually quite narrow. I'd expect it to be at an angle, but perhaps someone straightened it out when they were mucking about with the rest of it.

14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    So what's a "fake ad" as opposed to a fake bass? ...some kind of phishing scheme? Certainly no '60 Jazz in any condition normally sells at that price. What's the scam? Thx.

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Tha scam is people stealing pictures and posting fake ads to try and ripoff out of town buyers who think they have found a killer deal.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, the pics are of a real 60/61 bass. But the ad is a scam using stolen pics.

17. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    They really like the word "original"

18. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, duh :)

...thanks!

One Drop likes this.
  19. Forgetting the scam for a moment, has anyone ever seen the plastic body protector in the picture before? That's a new one on me.

Looks like they were made by a company called Parker

110335494960-3.jpg

checked his other ads, also selling a grand piano and a Ford

Capturefg_zps9mq1osyq.gif

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021