1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this an original finish for a 1963 Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reissueplayer, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer

Sep 19, 2007
    IMG_1238_zps2h11glkq.
    I'm researching a 1963 Precision. Is this an original finish? They are sometimes more yellow, but there was a change in mid 1964, making the yellow less transparent. Please respond with a reference if possible. Opinions are nice, but they need some factual support.

2. Entirely plausible. I had a stratocaster from that era with the same transparant burst. A lot of pictures online are more "opaque" due to colour saturation and camera settings.

But one only knows for sure when one can see the neck pocket, and the front of the body without pickguard (to see for telltale nail-holes).

3. That sunburst looks exactly how it should for '63 and before. As they age, they turn a "pumpkin orange" in the center. I've had quite a few back in the day. I wouldn't trust a '63 burst that was yellow in the center. Show that pic to any knowledgeable vint dealer, they'll tell you the same thing.

The L-1xx.... serial number is also right, and the play wear looks authentic.

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Looks like it has the rear nail hole in the correct locale (top center).