1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this an upright?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Love the sound of the bass on this track...can anyone tell me if it's an upright?

2. Raccio14

Raccio14

Mar 3, 2010
    far too much sustain IMHO. Probably a good ol' pbass with flats.

3. In that case, I should be able to nail the tone...woohoo!

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'd be sweatin' it if I was asked to nail down that tone on my P.

5. Well my first thought was that it was an upright or something with a foam pad under the strings..

6. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Yah, that can't be an upright IMHO.. Probably a bass with mutes..

7. Maybe it's a Harmony H-22? That be the bass highest on my GAS list!

That's what's in this video:

8. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    BINGO!

9. Aha! That would be the one. And how does one get a Harmony H22?

10. Save up some cash and watch eBay. They show up on there regulary but often sell for more than they really should. Harmonys were like the Wal-mart instruments of their day, but a few of them had a certain unique inimitable vibe, and the H-22 was one of them. Most of the Small Faces' stuff featured the bass, and it definitely has its own tone...

11. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    1st off- thanks for the tune bro! That's what ya call a groove to get LOST IN.
    That bass might be a standup w/ a compressor dialing in the sustain. It has lots of note decay like an upright if you listen close but ....
    I like to play sometimes w/ foam rubber under my flats on P, to get some thump like that & I always use compression not only for sustain but it has a very noticeable impact on tone(4:1 ratio & about -22 threshold) Do yourself a BIG favour & check out the dbx160a comp. MADE for bass players.
    B.

12. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    Near the end of the song if you look close I think there's a damper under the strings. It has a corner of it over the pg.
    Sure sounds like it also.
    B.

13. Yeah, great tune. And nice bass..just fits the song like a glove. Thanks for the compressor info, I'll check it out for sure. I might be able to get the same tone from the Eastwood Classic 4..another cool short scale hollowbody.