Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this another stupid move?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Aug 7, 2003.

1. I have an svt6/10 cab to me it's a lovely thing. Unfortunatly I have an almost new Mesa m-pulse 360 and I feel I got to push the thing into dirty overdrive to get the volume I want out of my cab and it leaves little head room. I was told to back it up with a power amp if I like the tone, but I just want one unit not two for power. So I'm about to trade the head in plus 325 cash for an Ampeg b4r so I have plenty of head room and then my cab and head will match as far as brands and enough juice. Do you think this will be a good move in terms of volume, tone, and reliability. Or am I a jello head that can't make up his mind on what sounds good and whats loud enough. Please give some good solid advise I waste too much money on gear. I want loud clean tone that will blow you away and I want to keep the cab. Should I have goon swr 750x? This was my other choice but it would be 450 plus amp.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    uuhhhhhhhh ... wut?

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    As long as that's all the cab you'll want then you should be happy with the power of the B4R. The tone is another issue. I hate SS pre amps myself but some people really like them. If I wasn't so stupidly obsessed with the mesa 400 I would be going pre and power amp. For your application the B4R should do very well.