Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this asking to much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOOTZY, Jul 1, 2004.

1. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Hi!

I´m in the progress of purphasing a new bass, a Lakland 55-94. I´ve asked the dealer for some pictures of the 3 basses that i´m interested in buying, so i could choose the one i liked the best ( purely based on looks, but what else can one do...?). When i asked for the pics they sent me a link to their webpage containing basses that they had in stock before. I have bought stuff from them in the passed and they been great.

Since the quilt and how figured the fingerboard is could and do vary, i would like to see pictures of the actual basses in person. If i walked into the store, i would surely get to try all the models i was interested in wouldn´t i? Even if this meant going through the hassle of unpacking the basses from their original-boxes.

I wouldn´t want to buy a bass and get it sent here to sweden and dont be happy with what i get.

I´m i being to picky? Wouldn´t you like a pick of the actual bass you´re buying?

It would be nice to hear how you do when you´re buying of the net.

Thanks,
    Bootsy

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think that you are being picky at all. When you are talking about spending $2500+ on a bass, it's not too much to ask for good pictures of the actual basses you are interested in. If they can't provide them, spend your money elsewhere.

3. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden

Yes, i agree with alot you´re saying. I didn´t put a timeframe for how fast i needed the pics and yes, i´ve asked a few questions and gotten a few qoutes on other gear ( which i bought some of...). I realize that they have alot to do and may not be able to assist me right away with my request for pics. All of my emails were in no way offensive, they were all very mild in tone ( hey, i dont expect to be helped out by being impolite...) But all it would take is a short reply with an answer if they can or if they can´t help me with pics.

I´m not gonna buy anything if dont get to see the thing i´m buying. It would be like to being told :
    - hi, welcome to our store. you´ll get to play as many basses you like, but only if you pay us first. We want to be sure that you buy a bass before we´ll show you anything. Just take a look at this pic we have here...it looks just like it. :eyebrow:

I have thought a little about this and i´m gonna take my biz elsewere. I´m pretty sure that someone else will take some of their time to show me a pic of what i´m buying and sell a $2500+ bass.

4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Who were you dealing with?

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Yes, sounds like you were being reasonable. You sound like a good guy.

Tim99.

6. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden

You too, I´m just about to fill in my profile. Thanks for your answers.

Bootzy

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know who you're dealing with, but if I was dealing transatlantic, I would deal with someone like -

- basscentral.com
    - nwbass.com
    - steve "dude" at the "dudepit"
    - accessbass.com

There are other very fine dealers, but those are the ones that come readily to mind.

Tell them what kind of quilt you want - e.g. big "pillows"/tight figure/"clouds". They may have to make you wait for something that will satisfy you, but these are fine dealers, IMO. Hell, I was even able to tell Carvin the kind of quilt I wanted when I bought one of their basses years ago that doesn't cost anywhere near a 55-94 and they honored my request.