Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This Bad/How Bad is This

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Oct 7, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, I work on the 4th floor of the law office where I'm employed. I do a lot of running down to other floors and as long as I'm not taking a cart with me, I generally take the stairs.

Now starting yesterday I started to notice something. As of yesterday and so far twice today....When I come up the stairs I start feeling like I"m totally losing my depth perception.

I have trouble figuring out how many steps are left, and how highup/far down the next step up is from my foot.

No one has been in the stairwells with me, but even without anyone there I feel like an idiot and try to continue as normal.

Does anyone know if this is something that will pass?

I also get slight cases of vertigo up here on the forth floor from time to time...and also when I'm in taller buildings...

Thanks for any help

*Note, I also broke my glasses(I'm nearsited) about two weeks ago or so...I used to wear them constantly. Now I only lay them on my face when driving at night..

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Your vision comes to mind, also an inner ear infection possibly. Go to the Doc dude.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Try wearing your glasses when you walk.

Mike

4. Could be glasses, could be ear infection for balance.

If that's the case, I think it'll happen repeatedly, every time you go to the stairwell without your glasses.

If it only happens once or twice, I'd get my butt to a doctor, and suspect potential TIA, mini stroke. Visual distortions are a symptom, aren't they?

The key is if its more continuous, or intermittent. Continuous points to more mundane options, intermittent points more to the serious side.

Randy

5. Should we make a sticky, or start a new forum like OT or TPA for medical diagnosis?

Randy

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I seriously doubt a TIA, if I had to reach, I lean more towards orthostatic hypotension or neurogenic syncope. Check the glasses first.

Mike

7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, I would try doing it with my glasses, but they're broken right in the middle.

I can manage to drive with them on at night with them resting on my cheek bones, but they site at around a 45degree angle instead of horizontal.

It just kinda wigged me out slightly for a moment

8. Ummmmm... fix them.... or... a new pair maybe?

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've been meaning to try and tape em up as nerd glasses...

and as for a new pair, that requires money....and I won't have any of that until after I buy a poweramp..... :smug:

10. I agree teh TIA is unlikely, but (I've been watching House too much apparently) but the differential diagnosis would be if its intermittent, probably not the glasses/ear infection, they'd be relatively constant. Wouldn't the orthostatic hypotension hit immediately upon standing up too fast, not likely after walking all the way to the stairwell? Not sure about neurogenic syncope.

I'm thinking orthogonal hypobaric dispension myself...

Randy

11. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    We could start a pool for my ailment!

yeah!

who's in!

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    How many beers had you consumed when you started up the stairs? How many had you had by the time you reached the top?

13. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

How do you know me so well?

are you a spy?

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I would only be concerned if he demonstrated hypobaric pulmonary edema, dont think the 4th floor is high enough for that.

"I'm thinking orthogonal hypobaric dispension myself..."
    Never heard of it.

OH can occur at any time relative to motion, not just upon standing up. Hence Neurogenic syncope.

If I had to bet, I would guess that there is a very good possibility that he is not breathing fast enough during the stair climb (read exertional hypoxia). The symptomology fits along with the impaired visual foci due to the glasses. But without a complete H&P, there is no differential diagnosis.

The intermittent portion is not differntial.

Mike

15. Hey, no fair, you're a real doctor, aren't you?
    I made up the "orthogonal hypobaric dispension " part, thinking you were being a smartalec. Imagine my embarassment when I later googled "orthostatic hypotension " and found it was a genuine condition and on point. :eek:

I agree he should get it checked out. Unless this started immediately first trip up the stairs without glasses, I think glasses are either coincidence, or triggering underlying condition. When I was nearsighted, I never had trouble with stairs without my glasses, except they were fuzzy and out of focus. Unless his glasses had some prismatic thing or lenses were bent/out of alignment, resulting in eye directional/tracking changes with/without glasses, hard to explain problems with depth perception.

I am tempted to go with your assessment in light of your actual medical expertise. I was quite the amateur gynecologist in my single days, but this is out of my area of speciality.

Randy

16. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

Gotcha!!! :smug:

Mike

17. Dooh!! I was worried I caved too soon. Never abandon a lie prematurely....

Actually I googled both your diagnosises :confused: , and they look pretty good, both are potentially applicable. How'd you pull those out of your butt so fast? Been checked for them yourself?

Randy

18. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    This is why I come here for qualified help.

I don't give a damn about what a doctor might say.

I want to know what other bassists have to say about the situation.

Excuse me, I need to go jump off a bridge :eek:

19. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Gotcha x2

uuuuuuhhhh Med School.

Mike

20. No offence or anything, but you need to get your priorities straight. I think glasses would be more important at this point seeing as you do need them to drive. Shell out the cash for new glasses, the poweramp can wait.