1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this band any good?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oniman7, Jul 6, 2012.

1. This is a really stupid question, but I just saw a Craigslist ad for a band that is looking for a bassist. I've been out of a project for a long time and looking for one.

Anyways, I can't tell if these guys are any good or if maybe I'm just trying to convince myself. Every song, I skip back and forth between loving it and hate it.

I think maybe it's because of the recording quality, but what would Talkbass think about hearing these songs? For rock music, they're really good hooks. Conversely, the back up vocalist is not very good and he's not well recorded, and I think that's part of my hang up.

Their lyrics are contrived and the song about Parkour is stupid, but the hooks are awesome, the lead singer has a really cool voice, the band is tight (it's hard to find a drummer that tight around here), and they need a bassist immediately to start working.

especially you hard rock guys, would you listen? Would you join a band like this? Or pass on it and wait for greener pastures? I have a producer who could make them sound really awesome.

P.S. I swear I'm not in the band and fishing for people to talk about me.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Not for me, but they sound like they might be decent enough to work with just to get some chops back under your hands.

3. I only listened to the first link and I think they're not bad. Not great, but not bad. I'd give em' a tryout and see what you think in person.

On another note I think thats a drum machine on that first link. It just doesn't sound real to me.

4. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Jul 11, 2011
    like he said. not great, but not bad. it's not my "thing" though.

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Sounds like a very "young" band. In my area there are a few bands that sound like that, they usually don't gig much or get paid to play. Sometimes the "kid" factor works though.

Couldn't hurt to try out though.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd give them a tryout. The style is not what I get into, but I was trying to set that aside and listen for ability. Still not convinced I'm hearing anything very interesting.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I thought that, too.

8. I imagine they are... especially as they misspelled "Devastation".

However, they claim to be doing shows around the country because of the help of some promoter/invester (we'll see how that pans out). I think they have the ability to make an impact on the younger crowd. Most younger show-goers these days are metal and hardcore fans. They're just metal enough, but not too hardcore to be repulsive to me.

I'm 16 anyways. My last band didn't sound that "young" but I think the producer we went to could really make the recording sound more mature.

9. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ultracoven/104957256255899?sk=app_178091127385

Conversely, this band is from 16 to 19, looking for a bassist, and sounds much more mature, but I absolutely cannot stand the vocals.

They claim to have a new singer that does cleans and guttural vocals as opposed to whatever's going on there, as well as speeding up the tempo and removing some atmospheric stuff, but I'll have to hear it to believe it...

Music sucks nowadays. I'm an old man already.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well I certainly wouldn't consider the band any good, although I only listened to the first link. Keep in mind, I have different tastes than you. If nobody played in a band somebody thought sucked, nobody would play in bands. Period.

You're 16, go and audition for anything and everything, you need the experience.

Odds are you won't get the jobs though, up until I was bar age I got passed over on so many good gigs because of my age, one band in particular, who was working with a name producer and had a bus (!!) they told me it was between another guy and I after a long series of tryouts. They went with the other guy, and told me flat out, it is just easier to go on a tour without a minor, I was the better player but I would have gotten grief at 4/5 venues from management.

I don't know about your region, but around here minors can play the bar as long as they stay on or near the stage, and they don't hang out after the show. America is pretty nuts about their alcohol laws and "minors" though.

11. I'm talking to 2 other originals bands and a couple cover bands, but that is a pretty frequent problem.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    They only have to be good enough for you and offer what your looking for in a project.

13. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I think that band is terrible. But everyone has different tastes...

14. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I never thought I'd wish for the nasally awful vocals found in most pop punk, but after hearing that guy I think I realize why they are there.

Music isn't terrible for the genre. Most pop punk should sound like it was written and played by 16 year olds.

15. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Do they bill themselves as pop punk? Cuz that's not at all what it sounds like. And stop making fun of my nasally awful vocals. I'm guessing your knowledge of punk/pop-punk/post-punk is pretty limited if you think it is a teenage-centric genre.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    At 16 it might not be a bad thing to do it for the experience, especially if you don't have any other opportunities.

But in my opinion they're embarrassingly bad. If I went into a bar and they were playing I'd turn around and leave.

17. I was going to say, it doesn't sound very pop punk.

They are honestly fresh and unique in my opinion (at their best) but need a lot of work and I don't imagine they'll go with it the way I think they should. Their text communication was pretty terrible, and overall they just gave me a vibe that said they were very close but not quite there.

And I figured I'd hate the music after a while.

I will try to find another project. I did have a band, so I don't need generic experience so much as a fulfilling one that will teach me things.

18. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Sounds like you have a good handle on what you want to do!

My one bit of relevant experience in this matter would be a band I was the frontman for in high school. We played snotty punk, and my vocals on our first release had been compared to Fred Schneider after 2 lines of cocaine... unique for sure, certainly not for everyone. Our first bassist joined the band knowing this, but figuring he could add his own influence and help us "progress" to something he would like. That's not the direction we were interested in going and ultimately he was not happy, and expressed regret at having joined in the first place.

Never join on the notion that the band may develop into something you like. Either like them in the first place, or look for something else that's a better fit. My $0.02

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Would it be more acurate to say you don't like the band , their not you're thing. And not say the band is terrible.

Big difference.

Blue