1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Band worth my time?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Robbiethebassis, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    I've gotten an offer to join this band, ive been in the band before, I but I left becuase the drummer was horrible. I want some other peoples opinions, is this band worth my time? Take in to account that I am 17 and I've been playing for 3 years. I have an EBMM and an Ampeg SVT-CL amp.

www.myspace.com/maverick678

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Is the drummer still horrible? :confused:

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    What does your gear have to do with anything? :confused:

4. What do you mean worth your time? What are you looking for in a band?

5. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Someone's a big Axl Rose fan :D

I guess if you're asking you're not really convinced this is the band for you right? No one can answer this for you. You pretty much have to decide if you've got chemisry with these guys and if this is the sort of music you want to be doing.

6. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    Alright. Well, yea. I thought telling you my gear might show you that im not new to bass. Yea, the drummers still pretty bad..but at least they're gigging, my other band isnt.

7. if you have to ask, then your either a pompous douche, or they arent worth your time.

pick one.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    The question should be- Is this band worth my amp's time?

If you are so badass on bass, it might be worhtwhile to work with the drummer. Jam with him often, bring him up to speed. I've been spending the last year teaching my drummer how to do math metal.

9. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    I never said I was badass on bass, im not one for bragging. I'm just saying, the drummer isnt very good.

People can stop replying to this now, I dont feel like reading that I am a pompous douche, I just wanted advice.

Thanks Anyway TB.

10. You open a can of worms... ;)

Well it all comes down to whether you are willing to invest your time and effort required to help this band (and yourself) succeed.

If I left a band based on another members lack of ability, it would take some convincing by them to get me back. Mind you I would have raised my concerns about the problem member long before pulling the pin too, so for me no I wouldn' go back because they didn't want to listen to me the first time to the point I felt forced to quit.

Wow, big post, sorry about that.

11. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    Thanks Depth. I guess ill just go jam with them, see what I'm getting into.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ummm..the guitarists timing is just as bad as the drummers.

13. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    Yea, it is. Thats why I'm saying, Idk if I should be getting involved in this. None of them are very good.

14. I think the question is, "How does the Ampeg SVT-CL feel about this?"

15. One of the best bassist's ive sceen played a cheep peavy bass with a sans amp Di live. He was certainly no noob at bass and any yahoo can blow a few thousand dollars on good gear. Gear isn't an indicator of how good you are at bass, it's how you play.

16. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    True, but a good bass and amp helps the cause.

17. Anyway, regarding your specific question.

If you left the band cause drummer wasn't good. I wouldn't go back unless I know he has been replaced or he has improved his skills.

Later on you mention that in fact the whole band is not very good.

What is it there that makes you have doubts about going back?

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I didn't check your link, but you've only been playing 3 years, which isn't a long time and if you think the drummer is horrible then you probably shouldn't waste your time with them, practice more instead, study with someone, raise the level of your play and just get serious about being a musician.

Having said that, the key to getting better is playing as much as you can and playing live as much as you can with people that are better than you are which is somewhat of a catch 22, because if you're just starting out i.e. you suck, people that are better than you don't want to play with you, however if you keep at it, persistence will pay off.

You've got a long road ahead of you with the potential to be as great a bassist as you want to be, it just depends on the amount of time and energy you want to put into it.

19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Don't worry about the negative comments. Some here on TB, since they'll never have anything insightful/useful/well-reasoned to say about anything have instead sought out to diagram your sentences for you only to deconstruct them in order to fit their own cynical interpretations. I believe the proper nomenclature for these people is: PRICK.
    From what I can hear, you'd be better off spending time practicing by yourself. At the same time, see if you can't get with them just to jam sometime, no commitments, just feelin em out. At 17, you should grab experience wherever it comes.

20. +1.

Seems to be an internet wide phenomena actually. . .

:bassist: