1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this bass genuine Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronald Maulne, Sep 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Maulne

Ronald Maulne

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi everybody,
    I'm mostly a guitar player but I sometimes pretend to play bass too.
    I'm looking for Fender Jazz Bass experts here
    I found this bass on a flea market for 70 Euros this morning:

Dropbox - Jazz bass

The bass look well built and there was this little Fender sticker on the back of the head. The bridge and tuners were missing. It's in good overall condition but the headstock has been SANDED! You can still guess the Fender logo though. So no brand except the Fender sticker. On the heel of the neck is written AUG 96 and on the body JUL 96. The pots are good quality and the jack is a Switchcraft. The pickups looks good but nothing is writtent on it. No serial anywhere.

I ordered fender tuners and bridge. I will get them tommorrow and let you know how the bass is sounding. I know the bass value has decreased a lot since the previous owner decided to sand the fender logo but I don't care, I'll keep it for myself.

I still have questions

1-Is it a Fender?
    2-If yes, is it USA, MIM, MIJ, MIC ?
    3-Is this possible that the serial may have been on the front of the headstock? (So it is sanded has well)
    4-If yes what kind of people is stupid enough to SAND a fender logo?
    5-If it's not a Fender, what is it, chinese copy,...?

2. alexgauss

alexgauss

Sep 6, 2016
    MIM Fender for sure

3. If it's too good to be true, it mostly is. What you've got is a Squier Standard-Series from the mid 1990's, made in Korea. The Serial would be in the front, underneath the logo.

4. Ronald Maulne

Ronald Maulne

Sep 7, 2016
    Ah ok. It looks well built for a Squier. I've read somewhere that only the US ones had the 50th anniversary logo

5. A USA bass doesn't have the trussrod adjustment at the headstock. It could be a Mexican Fender (Standard Series), but IIRC, those had laminated bodies, so the contours would have been entirely black, and they had bigger potmeters with black knobs. The body is without a doubt a Squier, the neck could be Fender-Mex, or Squier.

6. Ronald Maulne

Ronald Maulne

Sep 7, 2016
    I'm no expert but on google, you can find a lot of US JB with the trussrod at the Headstock, like this one Help with Fender Jazz N90 serial numbers?

For the stickers, I'm not sure anymore, It could be a squier series. But the serial number would have benn on the neck.

7. Ronald Maulne

Ronald Maulne

Sep 7, 2016
    OK. So I guess it is a nineties mexican squier series.

Thank you

8. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Every Fender/Squier guitar/bass from 1996 got that anniversary sticker ;-)

9. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    ???

10. Ronald Maulne

Ronald Maulne

Sep 7, 2016
    As for the switchcraft jack. Could it be a clue that it's a mex instead of a korean bass?

11. I'm talking about the 1996 models. Prior to that (late eighties, early nineties) they had, as well as the HW1 Fenders, and ofcourse the seventies Jazz Basses with the bullet-trussrod, as well as some eighties models.

12. RickyTee

RickyTee

Nov 26, 2015
    London On Canada
    Looks like a 1996 mim neck for sure due to the way you can see how the tuners are on the back of the neck have round bottom as most squires from that period had flat square bottom tuner. As for the body if both pickups are the same size as most mim were from that period than it is a mim standard.

13. Ronald Maulne

Ronald Maulne

Sep 7, 2016
    The pickups are indeed the same size. Thanks you all for your expertize.

14. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Looks like an MIM neck (almost certainly) with some other Fender body - te reason I say that is the sunburst is too nice for a MIM of that Era - they weren't bad, but they didn't have that much of a red stage and I'm reasonably certain the neck pickup hole was rectangular on those, not cut to the pickup like that - I would bet that's a Squier body of the same era - well not bet, but guess.

15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Who cares what it us, just PLAAAAAY IIIIITTT !! :rage::banghead:..:smug::thumbsup:

funkinbottom and gorneyg like this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I'm no expert by a long shot but I've seen a lot of MIM jass basses in the last few years and I have never seen one with a painted neck pocket. Maybe a little along the edges but never the bottom of the pocket.

17. JaredBT

JaredBT

Aug 7, 2012
    Looks Fender to me.

18. The pics didn't open for me,
    but for 70 Euros, you can't get hurt too bad.

Owen Bacon likes this.
  19. I had a 95 Squier Korean made with the 50th anv sticker on it. Yours looks just like it. My guess is someone was trying to scrub the Squier from it. I sold mine but it was a very nice playing action and the pups sounded great! Go for it if you like it.
    Good Luck!

Attached Files:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021