Is this bass player too busy in the first tune?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by quilanthegreat, Mar 31, 2016.

1. What are your thoughts on this bass player's approach to a classic tune? Does he seem too busy, not enough or just right?

2. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    The bigger issue is they're playing the song too fast.

OldDog52, gebass6, mattj1stc and 8 others like this.
  3. The bass on the original during the chorus, is a little busier than what's being played here.

Clark Dark and mattj1stc like this.
  4. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Agreed. The original was a little busier, a little sloppier, and it sounded wonderful.

Also, the guys doing shout vocal back-ups rather than talented backup singers.

Are we sure that was live? Just some odd things going on, but it might just be me. Always begin to doubt when the singer's mouth is behind a big mike the whole time and something about the drummer's stick work was a little odd.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Sounds like a jazz dude playing R&R to me. Now I gotta go listen to the original.

jallenbass likes this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    OK. Listened, and confirmed. This guy is a R&R dude, playing R&R.

7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Great bass. Sitting right in the pocket.

8. Awesome. More passionate than precise, and totally awesome as a result. Watching that really made my day.

Winfred and Joe Nerve like this.
  9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    A bit much during the intro but he toned it down appropriately for the meat.

AlexanderB, Winfred and trothwell like this.
  10. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS

I agree that they play the song too fast, but it sounds OK for a good wedding/cover band.

But you are right, because of that tempo, the whole band sounds "too loose", too "amateur", etc...
    I believe that ANY song that band performs has the same "feel".

(P.S. R&R as Rest & Relaxation.)

Also, I can NOT hear any Dynamics, any MOOD, any CHARACTER, any tutti ACCENTS, etc., in the wedding band's rendition of Janis Joplin's song.
    The original bass line (some could call it, BUSY) had the correct Attitude and Manner for that song, that period of time, etc...

11. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    In your video (LIVE), Janis sings that song in a different key and at the faster tempo.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

We talk so much about not overplaying, always keep it simple, and often that's good advice... but you actually listen to so many of these classic recordings and clearly those bassists were not at all shy about stretching out as long as they kept the groove.

meatwad, gebass6, Icculus and 6 others like this.
  13. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Late 60s and 70s Rock had some of the most active basslines in history. The instrument was so new, that there weren't any 'rules' yet.

14. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Excellent point!
    On the other hand, some fundamental musical rules like, the band's Dynamics, ARRANGEMENT, the bass-line development were followed.
    I'm back on my "permanent" band-wagon of "Show me the MOOD, Character, Feel, Tone, etc., of the song/bass-line."
    It's easy to hear all those elements in Janis' and her band's performance.

gebass6, AlexanderB and tfer like this.
  15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The right amount of business but I still like the original much more.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've heard way worse. He was solid though. I agree song was fast. When songs are played too fast it takes away from the groove, IMO. In any case, all solid musicians and she has a great voice!

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  17. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    100% agree. Even solidly PRO bands suffer from that "playing too fast live" issue like, Tower of Power, etc...
    Agree. The bass player has solid technique and, maybe, graduated from Berklee.

P.S. Here is an 11-year old teenager, Bianca Ryan with the same song.
    And she ALSO sounds good.
    Maybe, Janis' songs make all singers better?
    (The band is playing slightly modernized arrangement of that song.)

18. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Janis Joplin, the one and only! My fav female vocalist. :)

19. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Sounds to me like people who know how to play across changes, blues progressions and know about something called "passing tones", ya know that stuff Carol Kay teaches... she is a bridge from acoustic double bass technique and embellishments to modern bass playing such as black Sabbath (although Geezer probably knows passing tones and embellishments).

quilanthegreat likes this.
  20. Susqmike

Susqmike

Nov 15, 2011
    Perfect. Thanks for posting this!! Great stuff!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021