1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this bass trade fair?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogwillhunt80, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    I have an Epiphone El Capitan acoustic/electric bass that I am looking to trade. With this trade, I am also adding a Crybaby bass wah pedal. Both are in great condition and they were both purchased in April/May 2012.

I put up an ad, specifying that I only want to trade for a fully electric bass, and one person offered me their Yamaha 5 string bass.

Here are two pics that he sent me of it. Anyone know anything about this bass that he is offering and if it is worth my while?

Your honest opinions and knowledge would be very helpful and appreciated. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    In my initial post above is two of the pics that he sent me for the Yamaha. Here, I have attached the last one, along with a pic of the bass that I have that I want to trade. He also mentioned that it is 17 years old and that MZ12158 is the serial number that's the only real marking.

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Looks like a sweet bass. Curly maple top Yamaha with gold parts. They usually play very well, and the pickups go back and forth depending on the time frame of the build. But as far as quality I wouldn't be concerned at all trading for that bass.

I'm clueless as to the dollar value of his or yours though.

4. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    For mine, it was between $350 - $400 new, plus tax, last year. I think the crybaby is between $80-$100 new. His bass, well, that's why I'm here, if anyone knows anything about that one. LOL

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yamaha basses have horrible resale value. I don't know the value of your stuff but I wouldn't bother with a Yamaha. Of course I can't stand that Bowling Ball looking finish either.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I think it is a great looking Yamaha with a great maple top.

I would do it if the Yamaha is functioning and in good shape.. El Capitans have terrible resale and are a dime a dozen. Not exactly a rare bass.

7. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Looks to me like a good trade.

8. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks pretty even to me...
    Trading is tough sometimes, you are kinda stuck choosing a non ideal item for something you don't want anymore. The Yamaha was probably more expensive than your acoustic when new but yeah, the yammys don't hold the value like a fender.
    If you like it, do it! I'm not much for gold hardware, or acoustics, but I'd rock that yammy!

9. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    Certainly an even enough trade there my man. Fair as fair can be. Ask questions and be sure the electric has no issues.. Happy playing!

10. dogwillhunt80

dogwillhunt80

Apr 13, 2012
    I don't suppose, based on the info that I provided, any of the professionals can speculate as to what model this Yamaha is, eh?

I tried looking up the model # that buddy gave me but nothing is coming up at all for it.

11. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    LINK

From a quick image search

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I wouldn't be worried about resale value of either bass if you are planning to play the Yamaha. If you are trying to do the trade and then sell the Yamaha, then I don't know what to tell you. But if you want a 5-string and he wants the bass you don't use, then why dither about it?