1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is this bass worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by schmittuml, Nov 13, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  2. I don't think you can tell much about a double bass from pictures like those except that it has had some damage in the past that would make me concerned. A double bass needs to be examined carefully inside and out because a few relatively simple repiars could easily cost more than the cost of that bass. Heck, a decent ordinary set of strings run about $100, if the bridge needs to be replaced you could be talking around $350. Hidden internal damage could cost way more than that bass is worth. Buying a used bass from a picture is like buying a used automoble. You don't know what's under the hood or how it drives from a picture.

That said, that particular bass has been kicking around on craigslist for a while with no takers. You live close enough to Boston that you have a chance to see many different basses and also to find a good teacher and/or luthier who can help you select a good instrument. Another thing to think about, every time a semester or school year ends at Berklee, NEC, etc, a number of student's basses hit the market either because they are trading up or because it isn't worth it for them to truck their student bass to their next home city. Sometimes there are some good deals at those times.

Just a few things to think about. Also, what type of music do you play? What is your total budget for a bass and accessories? Do you need a bow, maybe a good gig bag? While each item may not be a huge expense, things add up fast. Good idea to figure these things into your budget too.

Just my 2 cents,
    S

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1 on the advice in TheSuzie's post. I'll add that, no, I don't think that bass is worth it. It's $800 for a damaged plywood bass. I wouldn't go near it unless it needed absolutely nothing else, which is highly unlikely. What is likely is that you would end up spending more on that bass than this or maybe even this would cost new! Even if that were not true, IMHO, dollar-for-dollar the ones to which I linked are better deals.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I'm tempted to say a big no on this. However, maybe the seller would let you take it to a luthier for a professional opinion.
    You MIGHT get lucky on it.

If that isn't possible, look for a new Shen.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Just to throw in my two cents. I have a 50yr old bass ( I believe it's origin is Germany) in Much better condition then that.. Plays great and doesn't look 1/2 as beat up as that.. and I got it for $500. It takes a while to find "your" bass... it's a journey.