1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Bass Worth It

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Billminpa, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Billminpa

Billminpa

May 19, 2008
    Eastern PA
  2. MysterMunky

MysterMunky

Jan 14, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    please avoid these basses at all cost. i've had to set up a couple of these basses and they are beyond terrible. the nuts and bridges are usually way too high and the strings tend to snap pretty quickly. you get what you pay for....

the main thing a beginner needs, IMO, is a well set up instrument. this allows the student to learn the bass without equipment issuses, which leads to more love of the instrument and faster progression than a poorly set up bass. if the instrument sounds and feels bad, the student is less likely to practice and more likely t quit

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1. That bass is probably not good enough for firewood. :) The minimum you will need to spend for a decent new instrument set up properly is about $1500. There are no shortcuts; there are no exceptions. Cheapo basses turn out to be far more expensive in the long run. Even if you pay all the extra $$$ to modify them and maintain them, you end up spending more than you would have to begin with for a far better instrument. Then there's the implosion risk.

Read over the newbie links. They contain a wealth of information. Then c'mon back with questions. Most of us are happy to help.

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I would not buy a String Bass on eBay. I would get to a shop and see them in person. Playing them is very important. :cool:

5. i was in a similar spot years ago. wanted to "get into" upright but had no cash. I bought (which is probably somewhat similar to this bass) a Chinese "Palatino" Bass. High action, impossible to play, thin sounding etc etc. Not useful, not even good enough to "learn on", no exageration; it was crap.

6. Billminpa

Billminpa

May 19, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. It is as I had assumed, just wanted to confirm that this wasn't the short line at motor vehicle...lol

Thanks again