1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this bow any good?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by kmanley_29649, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    I'm in the market for a new bow, and I found the 4/4 Pernambuco Octagonal German Double Bass Bow - White Buffalo Horn Frog at http://www.youbow.com/.
    Is this bow worth getting? I'm really not able to spend much more than this one is going for, so if there is a better bow in a comparable range, please point me in that direction. Thanks.

2. $170 is pretty cheap for a "good" bow but every bow is different. (At least every wood bow)
    If you use the search function, you'll find postings on youbow for more research.
    If you can wait till you can spend $350ish, the Finale carbon fiber is really good. Some have found good CF bows cheaper too. Again the search will bring lots of info.

Good luck,
    Dave

3. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    That's the thing, I really can't wait. I've got a Glasser fiberglass bow right now, and it's in desperate need of a rehair, but that'll cost about the same as buying the bow new. I really don't have the time to save up much more money, as I need a new bow soon, and I don't really have the need for a high-end bow, as I mostly play pizz with a little arco thrown in on "ballady" songs. Another bow I was leaning towards is Upton's Brazilwood bow.

4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I just upgraded from a glasser fiberglass to a finale carbon fiber, and unsurprisingly I've found a big improvement.....I know Yita music offer comparable carbon fiber bows for about a hundred bucks cheaper that have gotten pretty good reviews here, but I don't have any direct experience with them.

5. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    I meant to add that I'm really not interested in carbon fiber bows. I really feel I should get a wood bow. From what I've been told, and I reallize everyone's opinion is different, carbon fiber sounds a bit dull, and wood bows just sound better.

6. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    A lot of players--including me--cut their teeth on the Upton or Gollihur entry-level bows. They're a good start and a big step up from the Glasser fiberglass bow.

Good luck.

7. At the price level you're looking at, carbon bows sound much better. What you say may be true if price is no object, but at anything under about $750 or so, carbon wins.

8. I agree CF bows don't produce all the harmonics that wood does but I have to say the Finale is really good. If I could get a bow that sounds like my Tom Owen and plays like the Finale it would be one killer bow.
    All beside the point since you don't have the bread...
    There are threads on Yita bows, I believe both wood and carbon. The Gollihur and Upton suggestions are worth looking into as well.

9. Andrew Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton Guest

Apr 18, 2010
    I think one of the biggest issues with your situation is that you're considering ordering a bow without trying it first. If you can save the money for a nice carbon fiber bow I would say you should try at least 5 bows in your price range before you make a purchase.

The reason carbon fiber might be a good option is that there is less variation from bow to bow. You can play 2 wood bows made with consecutive serial numbers that seems identical from every facet until the bow hits the string.

Honestly everything on the market will be a step up from a glasser. I played a glasser fiberglass bow with artificial hair for 8 years. The bow was never rehaired. Now I have 3 really nice bows...probably worth 250+ times the glasser bow haha.

10. Albass91

Albass91

Apr 28, 2010
    Columbus
    I think you should go to a shop and actually try some bows before you decide. That would be the easiest way to know if a bow is good or not

11. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    +1; for Heaven's sake, don't buy a bow on price alone!

Only you can tell if the bow is workable or not, and only when you play it. The only way I would buy something like that, sight unseen, is if I could return it if I didn't like it. Just my 2c.