1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this cheating?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fletz, May 16, 2011.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    We are a classic rock cover band (www.RockBoxBand.com) consisting of a drummer, me on bass, a gutiarist and a singer. I want to do Baba ORiley, but we don't have a keyboard player. I found an awesome just synth and piano backing track that I'd like to run through my iPad into the PA. We'd play OVER it. Is this cheating? A bad precedent? Or, is it totally cool for one song like this?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    if you get paid, it's not cheating!

3. It wouldn't bother me, either as a band member or as an audience member.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

That is how the Who did it sometimes. Except they did it with reel to reel tape.

5. Unless your gig is at the SAT testing center, have at.

6. Just practice with it a lot ahead of time. It's surprising how difficult it can be to play to a recorded track when you take it live....

7. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    "Cheating" is defined entirely by you and your band. I hate playing to backing tracks but I don't judge bands that do.

An alternative is to come up with your own arrangement. Or you could just do Mr. Big's version.

8. I wouldn't consider that cheating. Last week, I saw a 5 piece band with no drummer. They used a drum track they created and played it off of a laptop. It was pretty sweet!

Sure is one way to make sure the drummer is consistent. :)

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    not only is it cheating, but it's against the law! i'm sure the local musicians union will have something to say about this.

:bag:

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's not cheating whether you play over a recorded track, or if you make the guitar player do it. (Tell him you all had a meeting and decided that that was his part, when he gets done freaking out, tell him you found a track you can play on your Ipad.) It'll be more fun that way!

11. KillerNeuron

KillerNeuron

Mar 20, 2011
    Hoth
    Not cheating. Tons of bands use midi controllers to add parts to their music that they otherwise could not fill out (especially band members who might play multiple instruments on recordings). I think it's a testament to skill to be able to incorporate other elements like that... It really can be difficult!

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    This. My limited experience playing to drum machines / backing tracks in band situations has been stressful at best with two or three positively tragic incidents thrown in. Once where we got off tempo from a drum loop in mid song, another time when the soundman didn't feed us our click till 4 counts in (resulting in us being off from the track by a full measure for the whole song)... etc. etc.

It's not so much a matter of cheating as it is execution. Does this track you speak of include an embedded click track or some other reference for tempo? Is your drummer willing AND ABLE to play with a click track (which by extension also means playing with headphones or in-ear monitors)? If the answer to any of those questions is no, it's a very bad idea.