1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this classic rock and or dance music??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bohemond, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Recently played with an band who planned on returning to the music scene. These guys had all the right equip. and gear, lights, everything. They hadn't played out in like 20 years.. They were looking for a bass player to get things started again. As the night wore on the songs went from bad to worse. They told me they would play classic rock covers and dance music so I said what the heck. Some examples of what they consider dance music... "I fought the law".. "California Sun. "Wooly Bully:" "Mustang Sally" ugh. "Mony Mony." "Jenny 8675309". "Gloria", "Some Kind of Wonderful".."Brown Eyed Girl", "Twist and Shout". "Switch into Glide". And the breakup song. Now who the heck dances to this? It sounds like Lame wedding music to me. Anyone agree?

2. It is dance music! I remember dancing to it in 1981! ;)

3. Some of it is 1960's style dance music, some of it is pretty depressing (Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl). It all sounds like top 40 of the past 50 years.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's very much like the classic rock stuff we play. For the right crowd, it's probably generally on target, although it sounds like it could be improved. For an audience of 19 year olds, it wouldn't work.

5. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I agree it fits for some people. But seems really dated to be played at the bar scene. Maybe for a corn roast or class reunion for 1970

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like dancable classic rock ... hey it could be worse ... they could want to play 70s disco ...

:bassist:

7. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    But they think you can play this stuff in local bars. What??

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    So what tunes do you think are appropriate for local bars?

9. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    well a couple I mentioned I think are ok. But for God's sake Mustang Sally?? I fought the law?? You wouldnt last long with those songs where I'm from

10. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    If they would have said Black Betty I would have pissed myself from laughing so hard

11. Hi.

No offense, but I had to check whether You're a bit under or over 20 :). I was a bit surprised to find out that we're about the same age :D

Even though we didn't play any of those songs, our setlist was really similar, perhaps a bit heavier, but similar never the less. Sunk in well in local bars and on MC clubs and -parties.

And Your local is...?

If You feel that the music doesn't fit the local scene, make that known to the other players. The fact that You think about the audience is a great approach, I just wish more bands and bars/promoters/bookers would think that way.

Regards
    Sam

12. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Sorry didnt mean to offend. Yes I did mention that but it didnt matter. I wont say where my locale is on this website. yes I'm 40 but I like new rock, indie, classic 80s , grunge, metal, hard rock. So I would have never fit in with this group. But anyways its cool . More power to them

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's why I asked...what are some songs that YOU think would go over well in your local bars?

14. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I'm not going to stay up and think about a setlist this late at night. But newer rock, classic stuff. anything 80s and up . Not top 40. But Rock. Andf Hell blues is big arounf here to. And I like some blues,. I'd even say Jazz would be a hit

15. Rather than look at the band's set list, shouldn't you be looking at the make-up of the audience? At the end of the day, indirectly it's the audience that pays the band's "take-home" for the night. Give the audience what it likes and the audience will give you what you like at the end of the night, no matter what genre it's called. That somehow explains why we still get to hear of reports of the Chicken Dance being played at some get-together.

16. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Well if your booked as a Rock and Roll cover band with some originals. Your not going to play bluegrass or country or some 50s 60s stuff. A band has an identity you just dont show up somewhere and decide what to play based on the audience. At least I don't. So I'm not sure what you mean Jaco

17. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    My original post stated these guys said they played classic rock and dance music, and I questioned that based on there setlist. They can play whatever the heck they want Just dont lie to someone to get them to play with you. And when I get there I dislike the music. They can play what they want. Its just not my thing

18. my opinion FWIW....play what makes you happy.

I would give up bass before playing Mustang Sally, or any trite or insipid cover tunes, but that's me.

I thrive on a creative environment playing original tunes. Sure that might limit me in getting crappy bar gigs, but I really don't miss those.

If (anyone !) doesn't like the band they're in, get a new band.

19. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Onion you hit the nail on the head. I totally agree. Original bands get a ton of gigs in my area. I respect them a great deal

20. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    See, the band I'm in does I Fought The Law, but leaning towards The Clash version, so my tone is cranked wide open, and the drummer's really pounding away. But we also retain some harmonies, so really, you just have to make it work, and not be super lame.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021