1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this crack just cosmetic, or should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Hi!

I just got an amazing parts bass yesterday. I'm really happy with it overall. However I found a crack near the neck pocket on the body, which is an American Fender jazz bass body.

I now wonder if this is purely cosmetic or if it will affect the bass in a bad way over time? I got it for a good price and don't really care if it's not a big problem that can't be fixed...

Thanks for you help!

Attached Files:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That looks just Cosmetic. I would maybe dab a little clear Nail polish on the crack and rock it.

3. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks! Then I'll just play it and hope it's fine

Bajo Clarkko, JRA and FunkHead like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

looks "just cosmetic" to me, too --- but if that whole piece just 'chunked off' it still would have no effect on the sound/playability. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Geddaric, SteveCS, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  5. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Okay, then I have nothing to worry about! Thanks a lot for your time

JRA likes this.
  6. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Fenders are supposed to be a little beat up. :cool: I'd play it.

7. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    If you have any concerns, try not to play anything faster than 160-180 BPM. You should be fine.

(Many years ago I did some cosmetic work on a sales managers brand new Nissan 300 ZX. As I handed him the keys, I said, “That’s a really nice car, but it starts to shimmy at about 120. You might want to have that looked at”. Complete deadpan on my part. He stared at me for a second. I grinned, and he realized that I was joking. Eh, maybe you had to be there. :woot:)

strigidae, mikewalker, Woofer and 9 others like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It does look pretty insignificant, not structural. The color is nice.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  9. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    That's probably the best way to look at it

10. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    I can imagine Well a good laugh is always great, really can't blame you

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  11. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks! Yeah, I really like it. Right now there's an allparts neck on it. As it used to be a fretless bass. But I'm looking for great deals on fender neck so I can get the "full experience" of owning a real fender. It's actually my second bass, first one was a squier.

12. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Remove neck Tape around the crack so that only the crack shows then Put baking soda in the crack then hit it with super glue the thin kind. Stand back and don’t breath the fumes!

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  13. I've got a similar crack in my Precision Special and mine is just in the finish. I just keep playing it. Its just fine.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  14. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Might try this! Thanks.

15. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Then I don't have to worry really! Thanks for your answer.

16. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    True. Plus, you can fight your way out of a bar with a Fender or most Fender-style basses.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    That looks cosmetic, and likely will fall off at some point.
    I'd hit it with some clear nail polish, or, possibly, a drop of CA.

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I'd also say this was just a finish crack. If you took off the neck, you could see if that little piece of wood was "loose" or not. If so, Titebond it to secure it.
    And, if you REALLY want to hide it, look for a red metallic fingernail polish that matches the paint (I bet you could find one) and carefully fill that crack. I've hauled several guitar bodies to the local drug store and the girls that work there are always glad to help me find the "best match" color.

19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I would do nothing and play, this is just a cosmethic and after a few years it will disconnect from rhe bass and give a bit to a vintage look.

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Super common. Don’t worry about it. Rare is the Fender that doesn’t get it at some point.