Is this crack just cosmetic, or should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Likely a finish crack from a slightly tight fitting neck. The colour would be impossible to spot fill so some thin super glue wicked in or nail polish will help set it in place.

2. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    All of my fender basses have cracks somewhere. Even th little suning key screws in the headstock are notorious for developing them. Play it, enjoy it, and be done with it.

M.R. Ogle likes this.
  3. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    That looks like the chip has been broken off and re-glued. Pull the neck and you should be able to tell. I've never seen a finish crack take a path like that.

KeithAlanK and Maxdusty like this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    From the 2nd picture, that's honestly what it looks like to me too. I've had quite a few basses with finish cracks near the neck pocket, that looks quite a bit deeper than any of mine. You can even see how deep it is in that 2nd picture, it looks from the picture that that the crack extends beyond the finish, you can see a slight gap that goes much deeper.

As suggested, I would remove the neck and see if the crack extends into the neck pocket. Even if it is a chip, you can make sure the glue is sufficiently there to keep it in place, it's not going to be a major issue if you just make sure the chip doesn't pop off.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    ^this^ I wouldn’t let it bug me, gives it character.

6. I agree with shodan--it looks to me like it came off and was poorly glued, because it's not sitting flush.
    DON'T mess around with CA glue and baking soda--it's a super strong combo but the fumes may fog nearby finish and it's too thick to get the repair to disappear. Take off the neck and you'll be able to tell if the bit has detached in the past. If it's solidly glued just leave it alone and forget it.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Ah...the bane of painted basses.....:meh: