1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this CRAZY bass pricing frenzy happening in the guitar world too?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishDub, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Just curious. The bass pricing has gotten completely out of control, and it is getting progressively worse. Not so much here on TB but everywhere else. I, like many of us glance at GC, CL, reverb and others and I cannot believe whats happened to bass pricing, used of course. A few examples of used basses that I have seen lately:
    -Rics cant be had for less than 2k..(Bought a Jetglo 2 years ago for $1200)
    -The least expensive USA Fender P is at $1300-1400(Bought one last year for $800)
    -Warwick German Corvette Standard at $1000+(Bought one 2 years ago for $500!)
    -Warwick Thumb BOs are $1300, $1400 and way over that(Bought one a few years back for $750)
    -Squier CV 60s P (China) are scarce but fetch $5-600 (Bought mine NEW for $279!)
    -Fender Jazz Special MIJ are above $1000 at least (Bought one last year for $450)
    -Alembic Spoilers are at or WAY above $3500, and have seen them for 5-6K(Bought one 2 years ago for $1800)
    -Steinberger XL2s are up to 4K on the low end(Bought mine for $1800)

Ok I know you all get my point so WTH is going on out there?? I get things appreciate somewhat and supply/demand plays a part but c'mon this is getting ridiculous. Is this happening in the guitar world too? I guess the simple answer is that people are willing to pay..

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Someone posted a "should I buy this" thread earlier today with a Peavey T-40 with replacement neck and knobs for $800. Seems a bit steep for me even if it were all original...

96tbird, Sam Reese, Mili and 6 others like this.

3. I've noticed used Rics (not sure about new) and new Fenders seem to have gone up a lot.

lowdownthump and FishDub like this.
  4. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Are selling prices up, or just asking prices? I honestly don’t know; I suspect the former, but will look into it. This is purely anecdotal, but in my limited experience, asking prices have shot way up in many areas, most notably to me on US Peavey instruments (guitars and basses), Rickenbacker basses, and old Yamaha SG guitars. I feel safe saying “it’s not just you.”

Justinian, deff, lowdownthump and 8 others like this.
  5. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Asking prices for T-40s have shot from 800 USD to 1,200 USD in just a few months! I doubt they actually sell at that price, but I have seen older Furies go for 400 USD on here that wouldn’t have fetched 250 even a year ago.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Glad I got my fill of T-40s back when they could be had under $400!

7. DCGuy

DCGuy

Apr 12, 2016
    Washington DC, USA
    I see a lot of overpriced gear on CL these days and a lot of it sits there for months. MIM Fenders are priced absurdly high in some cases.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The market is out of whack right now where I am. Demand for new and used instruments especially in the low to mid level price range. My local pawn shop only had two basses when it would normally have a number of them pre-covid. Basses sold on FB Marketplace or on CL reflect this too, people can ask higher prices because the demand is there. So I think depending on where you live, the situation may be worse than others. A regular ol' MIM Fender P bass or Jazz bass just two years ago would be on average $250-400. These days in my general area, for one thing there aren't a lot available - just a quick cursory look this morning, it's now closer to around $500-600 for a MIM. $300 will get you a Squier. High $300 maybe a Squier CV.

9. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I went into a local GC a few months ago to pick up some strings and was shocked at how bare the walls were. I asked one of the employees if they were closing the store or something. He said since the pandemic merch has been flying off the shelves. I couldn't even buy a pack of basic Fender rounds, they were gone. It was nuts.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  10. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    It most certainly is.

There's a number of guitars that I'm interested in and the prices have gone up ~30% over the past year.

11. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I frequently buy from my cousin at a mail order company, and so many items have gone out of stock in the past couple months. One bass’s arrival date got pushed so far back I ended up selling enough things—yes, at my reasonable-but-not-cheap asking prices—to get something fancier that he did have in stock.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Thats funny..I asked the same question to the local GC attendant and he said the same..

13. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    And lets not even talk about prices for Pre-ernie Sabres and Rays...

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    People think that because there is a shortage of new instruments, they can get more for used. Either the market will correct itself or not.

spvmhc, kevmac, eriky4003 and 3 others like this.
  15. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

@kodiakblair says you can still get a T-40 for 2 Fiddy :laugh:

16. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    I recently got a telescope after checking Amazon and telescope specific sites for months. Telescope stores out of stock and Amazon had rip off prices (x2 normal cost). They finally had 10 in stock at correct price so ordered it. Later that day the rest sold out and resellers had jacked prices back up again.

Waiting months for new bedroom furniture to get in but don't think prices were raised do to anything. Just forever to get it in stock.

Covid messing up supply lines.

17. FishDub

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I heard that if you buy an item that specifies "Amazons Choice" then they get a kick from it..But not necessarily their "choice"..

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Well GC is affected not only by what is happening with merchandise right now, but they're also recovering from declaring bankruptcy so they're also keeping stock on hand at each store to a minimum often referring people to either buy from their website or have it shipped to the store, yes even for things like strings or in my case, Fender knobs. That being said, my local music store near me a couple of months ago had zero guitars or basses on their wall new or used.

SDC1-ClickClack and FishDub like this.
  19. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ha! Look at the used Wal prices! THAT...is crazy.

20. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Everything from Basses, to guitars, comic books, to bikes have gone up in secondary markets. Bike parts are crazy expensive and hard to get right now. When Walmart bikes are getting more $$ secondary than what they sold for at the store something is definately up.
    (You guys with the T-40's I don't understand. Those were basses you could buy for $50 when I was a kid. I know they are big country basses though.).
    I just can't do it with some of this stuff. It's nuts. I've been pretty lucky as I have had to change out an amp head and cabinets. I also flipped through a couple basses during all of this and have finally got to my happy place.
    I have certainly taken advantage of the situation, to an extent, by clearing out my parts bins and getting rid of random gear I haven't touched in 10 years. My starting prices have been sane but the bidding has been crazy. It is starting to calm back down again. But in comics, key issues have not come back down to thier pre-covid $$. I'm assuming guitars and basses will be the same. Good stuff is going to stay high for at least a while. I'm very thankful for the sane bass players on this site. Thank you all!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.