Is this Depression?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm prolly about 30-40 lbs overweight, have asthma, heartburn like crazy, and other bodily problems, and I do nothing to help the problems...I keep on eating, can't seem to find the time to see a doctor and if I did I really don't have the money to pay co pay even....My gas tank is between E and walk, I got a disobey stop sign ticket in the company truck the other day, I'm tired all the time and have been napping at work...The sleep thing is due to new baby, who I love with all my heart and then that one is waivable. I live in a single wide trailer with wife, 4 kids, and 3 cats...we're totally on top of each other and driveing each other two cars need minor repairs before they turn into major problems, I'm behind with every single bill. My guitar player throws temper tantrums at practice (throws guitar on floor, peels out of driveway, etc.)...I joined their band though so I don't feel like I can say to much. Although the drummer and singer feel the same as I...but...this is not the important issue...yet...that's all I think about while at work, (practice, songwriting, equipment, etc.) I've been the only one working and paying everything...

The list goes on.

Anyways...welcome to life eh?
  2. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    To reply to my own thread and to kinda sum it up...

Kevin Spacey had a line in the movie "American Beauty"

Something along the llines of "...I feel so sedated..."
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have been almost there. Enough kids, though dude! :p You know what they say: Accidents cause people. Kick that dude out of the band. Major Noel Gallagher syndrome. And the thing I found I spend the absolute most money on is..................

Absolutely nothing.

I buy a bunch of little things. Eating out here, little trinket there, little toy here... That is what gets you into trouble. It all amounts to nothing. I feel you on the car repairs, but luckily I grew up around cars, and do all my own work. I have stepped out on a few limbs with musical equipment before, and have been really blessed that I came out alive. Just don't spend money on anything you don't need. Like a candy bar. That's a dollar right there. If you need to go somewhere, and it's close by, ride a bike. Eating all the time can give you heart burn, easy. I have lost 10 lbs recently just by cutting back on soda, and eating out, and volume of meals. It is not too hard, you just have to stick with it.

All in all, I do know one thing that has always helped me. Pray. God answers prayer. Seriously. PM me if you have any questions about that, because we don't like to get too into detail with that on the boards.

I hope you feel better, and I'll say a preayer for you. Good luck, and keep the chin up.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lose that 30-40 lbs, and I'll bet most of your health ailments go away.
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yes I agree...

Couple of summers ago at my 2nd highest weight level I found the drive to get rid of the extra tonage...between late March and the begining of August I went from 270 lbs to 228lbs...FELT GREAT. No asthama, no heartburn, never winded, didn't snore and keep myself awake at night. I just can't seem to find the drive just seems that there are sooooooooo many things going on in life that I feel like one of those people in the glass tubes grabbing for dollars but I have my hands tied and not able to grasp anything. Life is just absolutely out of control...I thought I had things tamed for a while but then......

I'll keep plugging away but man we just need a break in the storm I guess.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's all you can do. The way I look at it is:

Never take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now is not the time to be copping Van Wilder.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I never saw that. I just heard the quote somewhere, and I like it.
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's also a good way to look at things, I think.

Rumzini: You probably are a little depressed. Luckily, your problems are all things you can fix with a little effort (and a box of rubbers as a preventative measure ;)).

It ain't the end of the world, man. I got faith in you.
  10. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Nah...don't need the condoms...went and got fixed not to long ago.

Sorry for the pity pary everyone...just wanted to let off some frustrations.
  11. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    It's always the time to be copping Van Wilder.
  12. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Excellent. Kids are more fun when they're somebody else's. :D

Sometimes you just need to sit and feel sorry for yourself. Gives you perspective. I pitched a huge fit the other night, talked to a friend and got **** off my chest, and now I feel much, much better. Sometimes just talking about the **** you're thinking'll make a huge difference.
  13. Well, I would certainly say that you're stressed. I don't think that you are necessarily depressed, though. You are going to find it very difficult to lose the weight if you are like most people and eat when you're stressed. What I would suggest for a cheap and often very effective treatment is St John's Wort. You can get it from most health food stores and it really does wonders on stress levels. The money you'll end up saving on food in the long run will pay for it and you'll feel healthy; like a weight has been taken off of your shoulders. Try to avoid fast food as much as possible as well.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A note from my personal experience: Do you want to lose the weight before or after the heart attack? Think about your kids.
  15. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Been there, done that, been too depressed to care. :)

It used to be believed that you lost weight when you got depressed but now they are finding that weight gain, even rapid weight gain frequently acompanies depression.

For what it is worth in my experience it seems to come and go with its own time. It is good to remember that when you are depressed you will feel better again, it is NOT permanent. The same sensitivity that serves you so well as a musician will come into play with depression. Just do your best to live a day, hour or even minute at a time and know that you will get better. My depressive cycles typically see me put on about 40 pounds which come off easily when the depression has had its work complete.

Medication such as anti-depressants can take off the edge but they won't entirely reverse the depression (at least in my experience). In time the cycle will reverse and you'll feel better. The weight will get easier to lose and everything else will come into focus. In the meantime let me suggest that you establish a routine of simple pleasures to help you through the day. Such simple things as buying a morning newspaper and reading the comics or stopping off at a convenience store for a cheap cup of coffee can give you simple and achievable mileposts of happy achievements during the day.

Hang in and know two things;

1 You are not alone

2 Things will get better :)
  16. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ^ Good advice. Perspective is really key. Personally, trying to take it one day at a time really helped me out and I was less focused on the 'impending doom'. When things are at their worst and it feels hopeless, sometimes all you can do is get through each day. And often times, I've found that you eventually wake up one day and it is just not so bad anymore. :)
  17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    If you got problems... see a dr... its kinda dumb pay for insurance and not use it IMO... waste of money:/

played some football/vallyball today... i need to loose 400 pounds and quit smoking... weird thing is... i didnt get out of breath but it did feel somewhat tiresum... ofcourse i didnt sleep for 40 hours at this time... so that might be why:p

Jazzbo is my proof... :p i am a fat ass... 40 pounds aint nothing i weigh like 800 pounds:p

Take care of urself