1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this effects loop scenario possible or am I an idiot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Hey all,

I'm wanting to add a theremin (I know) to my rig, for wild feedback-style solos and general noise. It would probably be this one:

Anyway, I want to incorporate it as more of an effect than an instrument on its own, going through my bass amp, and still be able to play bass while it's on. So, with something like the LS-2, would I be able, theoretically, to have my rig set up so I can:

1. Play bass through my pedals and amp with the theremin out of the loop
    2. Play bass and theremin at the same time, with the effects just going to my bass
    3. Have the effects effecting my bass signal and theremin signal simultaneously?

Feel free to just say this is a ridiculous idea, it is just a kind of half-baked wish I'm going for right now.

Need Gigs likes this.
  2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    1: Yes.
    2 or 3 (but not both): Yes.

Plug your bass into the input, plug the theremin into Return A, put your effects in loop B, set the LS-2 to A+B Mix, you've got your scenario #2.

Plug your bass into Return A, theremin into Return B, again set it to A+B mix, put all your effects after the LS-2 output, and you've got scenario #3.

Note that due to the wiring differences you couldn't have 2 and 3 available to switch between without moving some jack plugs around.

Bassic Playing likes this.
  3. And in this scenario, the theremin would be kept out of the path until needed, at which point I would engage the looper, and both it and my bass signal would go to my amp? Sorry for these really basic questions, ive just never actually used an effects loop

El Spearo likes this.
  4. No matter what you'll need two mixing bus or an extensive switching system to get all you want done.

I think two mixers (an LS2 is a mixer in A+B mode) and an AB pedal with a kill switch (also called a mute pedal) would do the job.

• Bass into channel one of mixer one.

• Theremin > Killswitch > AB pedal.

• AB Output A > channel two of mixer one.

• AB Output B > channel two of mixer two.

• Mixer one out > channel one of mixer two.

• Mixer two out > amp.
    This is a pretty complex setup, but if you get it dialed it wouldn't be that difficult to use, IMO. AFAIK the only all in one solution would be a Decibel 11 Pedal palette.

5. Actually you'd need to have the bass go into the main input of the LS-2 to have the switch work the way you describe. If you leave one effects loop open (no cable from send to return) it should route internally through the pedal. Worst case scenario is you'd have to put a jumper between send A and receive A.

6. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop

Yes, this is possible. But remember, one option being true doesn't exclude the other for being true too ;)

In all seriousness, I encourage anyone who tries new sonic possibilities :)

Bassic Playing likes this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It would be much more simple to do thing 1 and thing 2 if your amp has an aux in. No looper needed at all. Just turn down the volume on the theremin when not needed, or use a mute pedal.

8. I think I'll go with kevteop's 3rd suggestion, so I can play bass and then throw the theremin in the mix with my effects when necessary. Id probably be playing it through my effects anyway most of the time.

Now to just work out how to work the theremin with my foot without falling over...