is this electric bass worth salvaging?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by faefaex, Jul 9, 2008.

1. faefaex

faefaex

Jul 9, 2008
    my friend has offered to give me his bass for free, so i was really happy because i really wanted my own, but when he found it it was in 3 pieces with another piece missing. here's the 'breakdown'
    the bridge is broken at the top and at the bottom
    there is a piece broken off about half the size of a plate off the bottom left hand side of the body (looking at it froom the front)
    it was on the roof rack of a car and slipped off...and got run over...by a couple of cars...yeah...
    it is a mondial bass, he got it 2 years ago new and hasn't touched it since. he's just remembered what happened.
    id' like to know:
    is it fixable
    how does one fix it
    would it be better to sell the parts

thankyou muchly
    fae

2. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Picture = word(1000);

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    If he's offering it for free, take it. It most likely won't be fixable from your description (picture would help), but it most likely still has usable parts. IMO, every bass is worth salvaging, no instrument should ever be in the trash.

4. thycrusader

thycrusader

Apr 21, 2008
    Agreed. Take the bass, take a picture and post it here so we can asses the situation better. Its hard to determine without a picture.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    ItaliaMondial-1.jpg

According to this, the bass body has a plastic front and wood back. It also has a piezo bridge, which is likely broken. If the guy has the pieces of the body that got broke off, you might be able to glue them back on, but if the piezo's have been damaged, you'll only have that neck pickup to use. I tired one in a shop and liked it, but that bridge pickup was a big reason it sounded good.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Whoa... Intriguing bass, never seen one of those before.

If it's free, you got nothing to lose. Take it.

7. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    it's really hard to say without pictures of the parts, but I would think it could be fixable. I'm sure it wouldn't be like a new one and it might be ugly, but with a little creativity I'm sure you could come up with something.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The most likely thing to do with it if cars ran over it is transfer parts to another neck and body. You will likely spend enough money and time on that project that it makes little sense unless you are already an instrument a do-it-yourselfer OR you want a real project to start with. If neither of those fits, I'd suggest you pass.

9. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    even if the body and neck are uselles, there is still parts in there, parts you can use
    like the pup, the pots, tuners, and if the neck is usable you can experiment truss rod works in there and maybe the pup is great and you end up loving that pup that you may not see again so why not? its free

10. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I think this is the big thing. Even if the body/neck/etc isn't salvagable, if anything can be salvaged, then it is worth getting for free. You never know when a spare potentiometer or output jack will come in handy, or when you might want to put a knob to good use.

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    This thread is also a great example of why you should always transport your bass inside of the car, and NEVER on top of it. It's not a canoe.

12. kebbs

kebbs Modus vivendi

Aug 30, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Go for it faefaex. Based on what you say, I think it could be salvaged. Even if the end result is mediocre, it can be a good learning experience at the very least.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, but the bass in question contains about as much plastic as an ocean kayak.

Riis

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021