Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jani_bjorklund, Nov 1, 2002.

1. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I have a Fender BXR 300R head (150w into 8 ohms, and 300w into 4 ohms), with the 15" cab that handles 150w. Now I have the opportunity to get a used Hartke 2x10" (8 ohms)additional cab but the Hartke cab is only rated 100w. The 2x10" cab adds considerable punch and clarity but will the 150w + 100w be enough? Am I going to blow up the 2x10" speakers?

2. By adding the 2x10 to your existing rig you'll be louder, despite the lower wattage.

3. I guess you are adding up the power ratings of your 15 (150) and the Hartke (100) and coming up with (250) and you are wanting to power it with a (300) watt head. Right? Most of the bass players I know power their cabs with a bigger amp than the cab is rated for. My cab is rated at 400 watts but I power it with a 1000 watt amp! (can you say OVER KILL!) You can blow a speaker by under powering it and pushing the amp into clipping just about as easily as overpowering it. The rig you have should sound pretty good. I think you have a good match up.:D