Is this EV 15B Ampeg 2x15 clone worth buying?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwamiRob, Oct 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AMPEG 2x15” EV BASS CAB | eBay

Taking a bit of a risk in case this is something that might be a bit of a steal and someone buys it before me, however I really don't know what to make of this. Seen some decent reviews of the EV drivers, but it seems to be something for lower powered amps not pushing too much bass regardless of the variant of speaker. It's cheap ish, and I'm in need of a gig worthy cab since my Berg 2x15 is out of action for the foreseeable future (I'm not expecting this cab to behave in any way similar) but given that I'll be wanting it to put out a decent amount of really low stuff and have some higher mid response, and all that at a pretty high volume, is this cab gonna be anywhere near up to it?

Also I'm not too sure abou the design, is this a clone of an actual Ampeg 2x15 setup? Or at least a design that has been thought about as opposed to some drivers thrown in a cab?

Ta for the help!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not an ampeg that I've ever seen. I don't think they ever made an offset 2x15.

Can't comment on the EV drivers. They're general well regarded I believe, but I haven't the personal experience with them.

3. I can't comment on the design of the cab.
    It does look like someone gave it some thought
    and did a nice job of building it.

The EVs will give you a lot of strong mids.
    The low end is somewhat limited, but a lot depends on the cabinet.
    The Bs will be a little darker and go a little lower than the Ls.

I don't know what amp you will be driving that with.
    I can tell you that the early EVMs were rated at 200 watts each and the later
    ones were rated at 400 each.
    Keep in mind that the rating is the amount of power it takes to melt down the voice coil,
    not the amount it takes to rip the cone or bang the VC into the magnet.
    That is, again more a function of the cabinet design.

All in all, you probably don't need to be too afraid of the speakers,
    but the cabinet they are in could be a factor.
    If you can take your amp to it and play on it,
    you will have a much better idea of how you and your amp
    will get along with it.

4. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Those EV drivers were top of the line thirty years ago, but technology has come a long way since then. Still you may like it, so I'd consider the cab, but not before trying it.

5. I've never seen an Ampeg cab with that design except for the offset back. If the cab is tuned properly for the drivers it would probably sound good and loud. Ported cabs are efficient but not tight sounding like a sealed cab. The cab does look a little small though to really pump out the bottom.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If you can try it with your head and it sounds good, make them an offer. A good cab is a good cab.

Ampeg made an SVT-215E, it was the size of an 810. There was also Gene Simmons version with a metal grille and differnt speakers.

I can't see the front well enough but if the clone has different ports but they are sized properly, it would amount to the same thing.

Here is the Ampeg 215 Gene Simmons model. There. Are two chambers with one 15 and two ports in each.

If the clone is only one chamber, it is a very different designed cab. A good question to ask the seller.

IMG_1206.JPG

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

My only comment is: On Ilkley moor ba tat!! :D

OK more, I would take a known head and try the thing out. That’s the way to decide if it’s treasure or trash.

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I can't open the link (work), but Ampeg did in fact make a 2x15 portaflex cab for a brief period. There have been pics posted in the Big Rigs thread. But they would be designed around period levels of power (B15/18 etc) and not up to modern playing situations in most cases.

9. Cheers for the feedback guys, unfortunately it's too far for me to test it so I'm gonna leave it, don't mind taking a bit of a leap of faith on things, but if there's a risk of it not having enough sub and generally not enough power handling then I'll leave it. If I was doing something a little quieter I'd probably jump on it cos it seems like it could be an interesting cab for some soul or rnb or something, but not so much for post hardcore...

10. The ad refers to this cab as "Ampeg (clone)..."

FYI, Ampeg did make an offset 215, the PR-215H. Super rare.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021