1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Fender Jazz Bass original vintage ´78?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sebajo82, Apr 22, 2010.

1. sebajo82

sebajo82

Apr 1, 2009
    Buenos Aires
  2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    While those aren't the greatest pictures to go by, it seems legit from what I can see. I don't see anything setting off red flags.

That serial number would put it "about" 78. The S8 serial numbers were used on a lot of late 70's and even some early 80's basses.

The Strat style knobs may or may not be original. Some late 70's J basses did come that way.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Strat knobs are legit, they were used on jazzes from 76-80 IIRC. Everything on this bass appears to be on the up and up, but as Savit said, S8 can really be 78-82. Given that it has a bound/blocked neck that narrows this down to a 78 or 79, but exact dating would have to be done using the neck stamp and/or pot date codes.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1978... Vintage...

???

5. ADBass123

ADBass123

Apr 5, 2010
    San Diego
    Doesn't vintage mean 25 years +. if so then this would be vintage.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't think "Vintage" means anything but something old that is worth keeping. A '78 P-bass may be worth keeping, but it sure hasn't gotten better with age - particularly given how good current Fenders are.

7. brianl-cdn

brianl-cdn

Apr 30, 2010
    How closely do the pot date codes pinpoint the production date of the bass?

8. Correct , 25+ years old.

meaing a 85 Honda prelude is vintage, doesnt mean anyone wants it:D