1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Fender Jazz Bass real or fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Real

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Fake

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Hi!

I got an offer to buy a second hand Jazz bass made in Corona, USA at a very good price. The problem I've got is that the neck is switched for an allparts neck, and that the serial number is therefore missing and that there's really no way of finding out if the rest of the bass is authentic.

There's no doubt about the seller being honest and I really don't think he would sell a fake fender, but it's possible that the one selling it to him did.

I now look for help from you guys, what should I look for when trying it out, and what do you think of the pictures below?

Thanks for your help!

/Simon

Attached Files:

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't know (sorry!). an 'expert' will pop in and help you with your query. maybe 10 of them! :laugh:

but it's a handsome piece --- i hope you have some luck (and confidence) should you decide to make it an NBD! :thumbsup:

3. Body looks legit to me. American Standard Jazz Bass Body in Candy Apple Red (from around 1997). Bridge, ferules, neck plate. As you described rest is parts bass.

4. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    The string-throug holes seem legit, but I'd like to have an expert have their say on that. They might need to have pictures of the cavities too, as they're good giveaways for those who know every detail of each series.

The main thing I'm wondering is: that's potentially a fairly recent US model, how come they swapped the original neck? Use it for a custom build and sell the original item devalued with a third party neck? :thumbsdown:
    Well, if that's a late 90s instrument as suggested, things and experiments might have happened as well in the meantime.
    What's the "very good price", if we can ask?

EatS1stBassist and Simon Nyberg like this.
  5. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    He asks roughly 600-700 dollars. I'm not really sure about the exchange rate from Swedish krona.

I don't really know, I'll ask him about it, however he's not the first owner.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    What do you think is a reasonable price? I might be able to get a lower price, with the neck being a different one and all.

7. No idea about pricing, but yeah, the body looks legit.

Simon Nyberg and FenderOli like this.
  8. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    $400 dollar neck replaced with a $150 neck.

seems an extremely high price

9. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok! What do you think I should offer? Would paying 200 dollars less than the usual price they go for be reasonable?

10. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Did fender ever use those chrome knobs? Those look Squier

The rear pickup route looks a bit loose, and with the replacement neck I would pass

Simon Nyberg and MonetBass like this.
  11. Yeah, go ahead and try for a lower price. But, I'd probably pay 600 for that. As long as the neck didn't have any issues. It look great. Id put a 70s neck on it anyway though. Candy apple with maple blocks and binding...ooooooo

Rip Van Dan and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    I don’t think $200 less than an unmolested Fender is enough of a discount.

If you want to sell it in the future the same questions of legitimacy will come up. If you want to restore it with a real fender neck it will cost a lot of money and you still have a parts bass.

Have your tried the bass and can’t live without it?

Are you buying from a friend and don’t mind tossing a few extra $$ his way?

13. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    The neck is not original as mentioned. Knobs and bottom strap lock and possibly the pickguard are replaced.

The price seems high to me but I don't know how much used basses go for there. I bought an Am Std. P for $600, and an Am. Std J for $750 both all original.

14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    $600 US is 5249.19 kr., $700 is 6124.05 kr. ;)

Simon Nyberg and pcake like this.
  15. HG1180

HG1180

Aug 11, 2019
    Millsboro,DE
    Appears to be legitimate with a Warmoth or other brand that doesnt label their headstocks, neck.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  16. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Does it matter? Non original neck, knobs, pickguard. Original bridge & string ferrules. Unknown body, pickups, control electronics, and tuners. IMO it is no longer a Fender and should be priced same as a similarly equipped parts bass. What it used to be doesn't matter. Offer based on how well you like it as a player. I have an Allparts neck and it is on the chunky side. I don't like chunky necks so IMO the Allparts neck is a demerit.

dutchwife and beatdatthang like this.
  17. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Great looking bass but in my opinion I'd be in at less than $400. US, only if it played and sounded good to my satisfaction. At $600 to $700, I'd be considering a new build to my exact specs. Might have to add some money to that figure to get what I wan't but I would be closer to my end goal of not looking for something else.

Frankie Fender and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I’ve made it a habit not to pay over 450 for parts basses, no matter what it is...

19. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

There should be a stamp on the neck that says "ALLPARTS LIC BY FENDER". Those are good necks. An Allparts neck on a USA Fender body (presumably with USA Fender parts) is a perfectly good bass. If you plug it in and play it and you like it and it sounds good, make the guy an offer on it. Looks like a nice bass to me. Since it's technically a 'parts' bass, you can't really call it a 'fake' Fender.

20. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Isn’t there some factory stamps and initials inside the neck pocket of the body? Have him pull the neck and take pictures. :eyebrow:

bhendrix and FenderOli like this.