1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Fender Jazz Bass real or fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Real

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Fake

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. I`m no expert but I`ve rarely seen truss rod adjustments on both sides of the neck. That`s convenient, I guess.

Frankie Fender likes this.
  2. I bought an Allparts Jazz neck and did not like it. It was an odd profile, and didn't play as well or feel as good as a real Fender neck. Here's a new Fender Jazz with an Alder body and maple fretboard 699.00. Fender Player Jazz Bass - Tidepool with Maple Fingerboard

3. By the look of those frets I would wonder how long that neck has been with that body. Just nit-picking, its a nice looking bass, but I would be wondering about that. I`m just not a "trusting" person.

4. DennisM

DennisM

Dec 28, 2018
    It looks legit,but parts changed. $400 is what I would offer.

5. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    As always people here dont get that american prices are different from the rest of the world,there is always extra 20% at least in Europe.
    Up to 600$ is reasonable IMO.

pcake likes this.
  6. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Have a purpose and live it out. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    If you're happy with the price and it plays good jump on it.
    If not happy with the price, ask for a discount. Anything for sale on social media is asking for a discount.
    I have $ 700.00 in a parts bass, Fender American Standard body and a MIM neck. I am happy with it.

pcake likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It looks really nice. Not sure about the rest. Body looks right. Ask for a deal. What happened to the original neck?

MynameisMe likes this.
  8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i'm an idiot and diddn't read the OP first, I voted fake bc the headstock/tuners felt funny to me

body looks fine to me, but i'm not the type that would know the right number of PG screws and their placement.. those folks will tell ya.

looks nice regardless

9. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I’m thinking if you are getting a well put together partscaster bass for $600, you are getting a good bass at a reasonable price. If it come with some OEM Fender parts, great.

The problem is, how do you know if it is a good instrument or not? You have no idea what lurks under the pick guard, and what about those knobs? I don’t recall a stock JB with knobs from a PB. Just my 2 cents worth...

MynameisMe likes this.
  10. jon4lisasays

jon4lisasays

Apr 10, 2020
    I’d call it a parts bass. Not fake or original. I’d offer them $300-$400. I didn’t plug it in & play it. It could very well sound like a million bucks. I would guess it wouldn’t hold the value of their asking price, (approximately $600?) if you had tell sell it.

11. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    If the very good price is more than $500, I'd pass. I rather have an MIM jazz bass. @least you're certain of it's lineage. I dont buy unless I can sell for as much or more than I paid for it. Locally I see similar instruments just sit for sale.

12. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Considering location I'd say the price is fair

gumtown likes this.
  13. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    I have a '99 USA...it has black plastic knobs.

14. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    nice looking bass, looks real. I'd pay no more than $400...20% outside-of-the-US premium puts you at $500. I'd say that's a fair price IF this bass excites and inspires you.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  15. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Why did he change the neck?
    If it is an authentic Fender but with a different neck then ask to see the original neck and have him add it to the deal.
    Even a tweaked Fender USA neck is worth something and a good luthier could repair most any kind of defect or damage.
    If they claim they threw the neck away or lost it, which would be stupid or It came that way from someone else, well,
    they are looking for that "There's one born every minute" sucker.
    And I agree with, jon4lisasays, it's a parts bass.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  16. I agree with a couple of others that it is worth 400 tops. It's no longer a Fender. I built a parts Jazz bass that cost me around 600. It's an amazing bass that is as good if not better than US Fender. Could I sell it for 600? Probably not maybe 5 if I find the right buyer.
    Unless its all Warmoth, most parts basses are going to be worth 4-500 tops. Even Warmoth maybe 600 if done right.
    I see people selling Warmoths for 800-1000. No way they are going to get that.

Simon Nyberg and DTRN like this.
  17. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    When you replace the body on a Fender it's still a Fender. When You replace the neck, it's a parts bass.

Simon Nyberg and gumtown like this.
  18. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm wondering why the fretboard looks nicely yellow but the back of the neck looks unfinished? Too hard to tell if the rest of the bass is legit. Body looks legit but without seeing the bottom of the pups and the pots and wiring there's no way to be sure. Here stateside $400 is the max I'd pay and that would be only after seeing the stuff I mentioned above.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  19. Looks good, if it sounds good and plays well, who cares?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  20. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    I was thinking the pick guard route for the truss rod was longer than mine. The rest looks legit, except the neck.

IMG_9169.JPG IMG_9174.JPG IMG_9179.JPG

Simon Nyberg likes this.