1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Fender Jazz Bass real or fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Real

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Fake

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Can you believe the nerve of some people? ... (You said it was a good price.) ... They'd think they can just pawn something like this for real money. (How much is he asking?) ... These are the type of people you'd like to get alone in the alley. (So, is he open to offers?) ... Why don't you just forget about this bass and send me his contact number so I can call him up, personally, and give him a piece of both our minds. ... (Is he interested in trades?) ... Can you believe the nerve of some people?

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    prices in Sweden and the US are completely different. Things are way more expensive in Europe. But it still seems pricey

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  3. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    There's a darker wood plug in the truss rod channel at the headstock. It's not adjustable from both ends. That's normal on a maple-fingerboard neck with truss rod adjustment at the heel.

DeliriumTremens and Simon Nyberg like this.
  4. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I wouldn’t buy it. The neck is the most important part of the US Fender. It’s like buying a BMW without an BMW engine.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  5. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    In the states $600 puts you close to a used US Fender. I would not pay that much for a parts bass when I could save up another couple hundred and get a nice American Standard that will retain its value.

Of course you're in a different market but that's what I think when I see basses like this. It might be a great player but you're going to have a hard time getting your money back out of it if you decide to sell it down the road.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  6. Do yourself a favour: either build your own parts J-bass or buy a true MIA Fender, maybe 2nd hand ..

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  7. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Just a little update.

I told him some of the things you guys said about the bass losing a lot of value without the neck and all that. He understood he was being a bit optimistic about the price and told me I could get it for 450 dollars (which is great in Sweden, as instruments here are quite expensive. Anyway I went to try it out and it felt and sounded extremely good for it's price, so I bought it, and got the original pickguard with it.

He told me he had changed the pickups to Seymour Duncan SJB-1 (vintage voiced, mimicking the originals). I also found out the machine heads were Schaller ones. As you understand this is 100% a partscaster, which it wouldn't have been if he wouldn't have sold the original fretless neck... However the man who sold it was really nice and had taken good care of the bass, and I really don't care if it's not a "real" fender. It's made out of great parts, sounds amazing and was cheap (with the quality and Swedish pricing in mind). I'm also feeling confident the fender parts are authentic. The only thing I really miss is the logo on the headstock, which really doesn't change the sound anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I hope it plays great and brings you lots of joy!

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    That sounds like a good deal on a good bass! Enjoy it!

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  10. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    Ah, the original neck was a fretless. Makes a little more sense now. Glad you got an instrument you like for a price that you're happy with.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  11. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Ok, that bit answers a lot of our questions now

12. My bad.
    Inexperience strikes again.