1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Fender Precision a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by earjack, Apr 19, 2021.

1. earjack

earjack

Apr 19, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Just found this bass online for around 550 usd. It appears to be a pawn shop dealer who needs to get rid of it. He would not upload more photos but accepts that a local friend (non musician) comes to see the bass, it has its original case. The serial number on the plate is of a 60's P-bass but the neck is definitely not, the pick guard seems to be new, with the transparent part and with an oddly placed thumb rest. Can anyone advice if this is a good deal?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Kinda looks like a parts bass. I'd have to see pictures of the neck heel. The Body looks "off" to me. I would pass based on those Pics.

3. The best thing are the tuners, but even these have different screws.
    Rest doesn't look Fender to me (probably the bridge).
    Pass.

_Obra_, P. Aaron, Low8 and 3 others like this.
  4. earjack

earjack

Apr 19, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    yeah you're right, the longer horn looks too thick

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not a Fender body. I’d offer $150.

6. I've found USA Fender basses for AMAZING prices at pawnshops, for way cheaper than that parts bass you're looking at.

I'd offer him $100 -$150, but no more than that.

That's to much for a mystery parts bass like that.

7. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Obviously not an original appointment, but why would someone put the thumb rest over the control knobs?

Aqualung60, Salo70, Redd Hatt and 4 others like this.
  8. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Maybe a lefty played it flipped over and liked to play right down on the bridge. ???

9. earjack

earjack

Apr 19, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    exactly what I thought

10. You need a Fender detective for that one. Serial supposedly says it's a 62 and that's nowhere near being a '62. Paddle tuners were mostly put on '66 J basses. The pick guard is a single ply, the neck looks like it may be a 70's neck. The body does look a little misshapen to me too. I would go check it out in person if i were you but the fact that it is so cheap tells me the seller knows something isn't right with it.

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Those tuners go for big bucks, and they look to be the only "Fender" thing on this bass. Like others have said, $150 tops. Sell the tuners, and buy a true Fender bass.

12. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    That’s no fender bass, Aside from the tuners.

fake.

Aqualung60, FenderOli and pipaberg like this.
  13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Is that a two-piece pickguard? Lol

14. Flog

Flog a Viking in Tejas

Oct 18, 2017
    Denton, Tx.
    It's pretty easy to get a waterslide decal and make anything a "Fender Precision Bass"

Aqualung60 and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  15. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    All in all...no, it is not worth it.

16. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

I agree with this... + the neck plate is a fake. You would need to take it apart and get dates for the neck, pots, pickups. Offer $75 :D

Lownote38 and earjack like this.
  17. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    That'd be a hard pass for me. Wouldn't even spend $50. Could be an absolute disaster to work on and end up worthless to part out. It's no Fender that's for sure!

4SG, earjack and FenderOli like this.
  18. Like the others have said- Not the real deal. Tuners are from '66-'67 but even those are being reproduced.
    Two piece PG- not Fender. Neck plate is definitely fake so SN is meaningless and bass is a parts bass which may be stolen since the plate is fake. I would avoid it unless it is stupid cheap. I can't see bridge and PU enough to judge but chances are they are fake too. If you buy it and flip it-sell it as a parts bass.

lfmn16 and earjack like this.
  19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Too much room for speculation about it. The components don’t add up convincingly enough.

4SG and earjack like this.
  20. earjack

earjack

Apr 19, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks a lot for all your swift and helpful replies! will pass on this one.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021