Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this fender worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tihi, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Hello!

Found it on Ebay.
    Fender Precision '76.
    What do you think of it?

Thanks!

2. Headstock

3. A few more.

Thanks

4. What does it weigh, and how much is the seller asking?

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    It's made from Ash so it's probably pretty heavy.. That bass would probably go for $1300

6. Swamp Ash is the heavy stuff, Northern Ash is pretty light, but either way with that refinishing job $1300 is optomistic IMO.

7. You have it backwards, Swamp Ash is pretty light, the northern stuff is heavy.
    http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

8. Hes right. The pours in Swamp ash's grain are way more open, I guess to hold more moustiure from the humidity.

9. When you say "eBay", which eBay do you mean? American, German, somewhere else? I would be very cautious buying a vintage bass privately over the net and especially overseas. If it turns out to be a lemon or a scam, you´ll have hard time getting your money back.

10. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Most eBay stuff like that is a scam, well, it has been to me. It'd be better to find something in a store

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Nah ebay is pretty safe if you're smart.. make sure they have a date stamp on the neck... and if the body has been refinished it's pretty obvious. Plus you have to pay through paypal! I've had 3 deals that were scams and I contacted paypal and they got my money back.