is this fesable

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Nov 3, 2004.

1. after a bit of discussion with my guitarist on setup he's convinced me that anything more than 3 pedals makes your sound really ive been thinking, and ive come up with what i think is all that i need

a Sansamp Bass Driver Di, or Hartke VXL Bass Attack Pedal, or MXR Bass Di+
    and a EHX BassBalls

reason im asking if its a fesable thing to do is because the bass balls has an overdrive switch and the DI pedals are overdrive units as well
  2. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Just because someone else doesn't make it true. Most people say this because they don't think of this because-
    A most effects aren't designed for use with bass and don't sound that great (depending upong your opinion).
    B Most people don't consider the bass outside it's conventional role (except perhaps with a touch of [yawn] slap, here and there)

It really depends upon what sound you're going for and what style of playing suits your music. A huge number of people sound just fine with a minimal approach, and it is largely true that the more pedals you have in your chain the more complicated your life will become if you strive for- pure tone. The more pedals you add in the more you will have to think about the problems that they may pose (tone suckage/ loss of bottom end or just plain muddying up) once finding that ultimate syth sound it can take months of fiddling around trying to get your clean tone back again. (Just take a look at yer man Doug Wimbish's set up... ..and thats as simple as he can get it after playing live for over 130 years)
    To play a conventional bass role having a "tight" signal is absolutely essential. If your signal is farting and cracking and beeping out all over the place place super x box doesn't track these strings so well then it won't help your bands overall sound.
    On the other hand- if your not bothered about having to push out x number of notes per beat have some beatiful big wide spaces in your music then you can pretty much do what you like. In any once you start it'll be like learning a whole new instrument.

Anyway back to your question.

The boxes you mention are all well reputed "good" sounding weapons, in the right hands- but the sansamp and mxr are very different beasts, so I'm a little uncertain of what sounds you're looking for.
    The bassballs is a gem if you want to be bootsy. Doesn't hold up so well in a more rock oriented line up though. What type of sounds are you looking for?
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    And that's why you should never listen to guitarists :)
    You can make your sound suffer with one pedal, if it sucks your tone. With use of true bypass pedals and/or looopers for tone suckers, you can have lots of pedals.

WRT the MXR vs Bassballs. Yes, it's feasible. The MXR also does plenty other stuff for you (eq,DI). I'm not sure I'd see it as duplicating. The distortion on the bassballs isn't good enough to use on it's own IMO - I can't even remember if you CAN use the distortion on the bassballs without having the filter sweep effect.
  4. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    this is not true. anyway, you can always use a looper/switcher so that only the effects pedal you want to use deals with your tone everytime.

the Boss LS2 is one of the many looper/switcher products available.

5. he cant be wrong if he's played with pat metheny ;)

but i shold of been more specific, i prefer a simplistic approach to everything :D...i chose/think of this setup cos well i want the bass balls cos its a great tone, i really love playing with the envelope filter, and i thought those 3 di/eq/overdrive units were pretty much the same, and im gonna choose one of them becuase i like a little grit in my sound sometimes, plus its a DI and an extra EQ...

my approach to playing, im a pizzicato, slap and tap player in a chili peppers meets incubus meets ben harper meets outkast style of band, and possibly an improv heavy jaco with scofield meets hendrix and band of gypsy's type of jazz band soon (im meeting one of my guitarists drummer soon, not only for practise in lockin with various drummers but hes gonna asses me for the jazz band) so the overdrive/di would come in handy there and not so sure on the bassballs for that...

are those di drivers a tubey type grit overdrive or full out fuzz distortion?
  6. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    are those di drivers a tubey type grit overdrive or full out fuzz distortion?[/QUOTE]

time to use the search button.

I can't believe you wrote pizzicato as one of your styles of playing the bass. That's hilarious :D . I understand we use the word "plucking" in English, unless that is, we're trying to impress poeple. ;)
  7. yeah...:D...sorry bout that...ive just been running over all my theory books....i spose its just stuck :p

but if we used the search button, there wouldnt be any new threads on here :D

but he was reffering to himself when he was talking about the more than 3 pedals (BTW: he uses a hot cakes OD, dano delay and a snarling dogs addicted to wah) but i just thought it made sense...cos otherwise you have to really compress it alot at the end of then chain

im not really looking to have so many cables...i just wanna run my bass into the bassballs, into the di/driver into my amp input
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    yes he can.
  9. toasted...note sarcasm...little mr winky there

so the MXR is a heavier distortion, but its switchable between just eq, just od, both

while the sansamp is more lighter in the distortion but its distortion and eq at once

anything on the hartke
  10. i just checked the MXR/Jim Dunlop website and i had totally forgotten about the MXR bass auto q.....i might consider trying the two mxr pedals...i like the auto q, the knob arrangement to cool, and its glow in the dark labels..but apparently it doesnt have true bypass?

11. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I think it's a bit silly to get stuck in a mindset that you need 3 and exactly 3 pedals. How many will you use regularly and tastefuly? Many quality pedals are true bypass and don't suck your tone, and, as pointed out, loopers can solve the bypass problem for pedals that aren't true-bypass. I'm all for simplicity, but don't make your decision based on an entirely arbitrary number.
  12. well im going with 2....i cant see myself using anything like a synth, octaver etc etc.....there arent many pedals ive seen that are true bypass, if the batt dies, you're gone, and if you have 6 or 7 pedals, who knows which one it is thats gone..i just find it logical to have just what you wanna use, plus the di+od pedals are knocking down 2 birds with one stone..i know theres many people who are effects not looking to be told why i should have this many pedals, i was just wondering if i was overdoing it if i got one of the di+od pedals and the bassballs which has an od as well....

im not interested in having a huge pedal board with 15 different pedals, and all these looper switches with some crazy setup..i just wanna drop 1-3 pedals on the floor, and use as little cable as possible
  13. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I was just trying to point out that you should use however many pedals you need. If it's 2, that's great. I usually use 1 or 2. Having different "flavors" of overdrive/distortion is always a plus, I think. When I play guitar, I have at least two available.

14. aahhh guitarist syndrome :D ;)
  15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As everyone else has said, don't get hung up on a number. Use exactly the number of pedals required to acheive the sounds that you want. It sounds like that number is two at the moment, but don't be afraid to increase that number as is needed.

BTW, there is another option. There are some of us that prefer rack-mounted multi-effects boxes rather than individual pedals. Only you can know what is right for you, but I thought that I would throw that out as an option. For example, I like the Bootsy Bass setting in the Lexicon MPX G2 that I use. There are many other effect combinations available in a box as powerful as the MPX G2.

Ultimately the choice is up to you and you alone. Don't let anyone dictate arbitrary rules like the "3 pedal" rule.
  16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and that's fine. I can't see anywhere in this thread where anyone said you should do that.
    BUT, you should be aware of the issues I brought up. If you have a pedal that sucks your tone even while off (hello EHX Bass MicroSynth) in your chain, whether it's one pedal or twenty, you have a problem.
    Pedals dont HAVE to be true bypass, all I really care about is whether it sucks tone when off or not. Most EHX pedals I've tried (including muff, bassballs and microsynth) sucked tone even while off so you're best getting them modded for true bypass or putting them in a loooper loop.
  17. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Buy a multi effects then all you have is one pedal so therefore not tone suckage, I hear zoom are good for true bypass :D

On a more serious note why not just get a boss GT-6B or the ME50B lots of people like them and you wouldn't have lots of wires like you talking about.
  18. im not to keen on a rack setup ideal rig is just a head (hartke or thunderfunk :D ) and the two cabs that i already own, well 1 or 2 depending on the venue, as little pedals as possible and 1 or 2 basses

zoom 506
    the only thing im concerned about true bypass, besides the tone sucking, is that if im using batterys that my signal doesnt just completely drop out..i havent found many effects that i like or can see using so far, the od/di and evelope filter seems a logical choice for what i can see myself using,...

i already have the zoom 506 :rolleyes: ...and id rather spend the same money on the effects i can put to use rather than spend the same and get something that try's to do it all and most likey not as well..

im gonna try those two MXR's..i listened to the samples of the auto q on the web page and its sounds cool
  19. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's been said before, don't limit yourself to three pedals, and don't go buying some because you're "allowed" to have three.

I'm a gear head and my pedalboard has had over a dozen pedals at some points. I'm at that simplistic point in my style where I'm only using a wah and overdrive. Play some, see what works for you, if they don't, DON'T buy them, they're hard to get rid of sometime.