1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this fixable?...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Claymore, May 22, 2020 at 2:35 PM.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I bought a frankenbass ('85 Peavey Foundation body w/ '78 T-40 neck.) The original neck was included in the deal but as explained by the seller, is split and needs work. I'm happy with keeping the
    T-40 neck on there permanently but I thought this would be a good opportunity to attempt neck repair since I have an unused neck just sitting here. So how would you go about trying to fix this? Wood glue and clamps seems like an obvious solution but I'm not a luthier so I figured I'd put it out there for you bassists that are handy with woodworking. Is it even fixable at all? If so, what kind of tools are required? Thanks in advance. :D 518D4E26-1337-40B5-B673-B36308E8256A.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 3:31 PM
  2. That looks like water damage has caused the glue joint to fail.
    Does the split extend any further?
    Is the neck stable? I would try stringing it up to see what happens.

LHbassist, eddybuzzard and Claymore like this.
  3. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    What is pictured is the extent of the split. Water damage would make sense because there is a bit of rust on the hardware. Is the split likely to get bigger if I string it up? If not, I have no problem just patching the seam with wood filler or something along those lines.

4. If it’s dry now, I would think the damage is done. It’s hard to say what will happen.
    I guess you could fill the split with epoxy to try to stabilize it.
    The next step is to replace the headstock by splicing on a new one with a scarf joint.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Ok. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

6. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Just stumbled across this video.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  7. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Assuming typical neck construction, that's a really difficult spot to fix well because the end of the truss rod is likely right above that split. So it's a really thin seam, and it has a lot of pressure on it (from the truss rod fighting string tension).

I don't want to rain on your parade, but It might pay to do some investigating first. Is the truss rod indeed right above that spot? If it adjusts at the headstock, you have your answer. If it's a heel adjust, you may be able to see into the crack (use a cell camera zoomed all the way in) or feel in there with a thin knife blade or something similar.

8. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    You're right... The threaded part of the truss rod is directly where the crack is (it's headstock adjust) and glue is bound to get all over the threads if I do that. Good catch. I'll do some more research before I do anything too drastic.

9. rudy4444

rudy4444

Mar 13, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Are those multiple small splits that show higher up the side of the neck to the left of the "main" split?

10. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    No, that's just the way the light was hitting it. The only split is the main one about 3" long. Here it is at its widest with the truss rod tightened up a bit. 7E3DB8D4-740E-4CF4-8479-347296FFB4AB.jpeg

11. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
  12. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    This is a situation where you must give it your local master. He will give you all answers. I think it can be fixable.

Cutter8 likes this.
  13. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Keep the T40 neck on the bass and hang the Foundation neck on the wall until you get a burglar, then beat the crap out of him with the neck.

I would not worry about fixing the foundation neck. It's just not worth your time.

14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I've got a foundation body without a neck (Long story). If you opt to ditch it let me know

15. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Will do.

TheReceder likes this.
  16. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Claymore
    Love your handle. I use to stick claymore mines out in front of our artillery fire support base. On the curved, convex side was printed 'THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY'.

L Anthony and TheReceder like this.
  17. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Wow I can say I've never seen a joint do that. It looks like it's been hit with a hatchet.
    Might be liquid damage with the discoloration, as far as repair goes the only thing I can even imagine working is a nice wooden shim/inlay. Perhaps wood dust slurry and glue, or epoxy. In that spot you sure will feel it if not done well, but considering how it's got to feel to play as is, not much to lose really.

Good luck,
    Dirk

Williethump and Claymore like this.
  18. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    You KNOW they had to start writing that on there because some guy kept getting it backwards. :laugh:

19. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I repair a lot of instruments- The instant I saw that- I knew it was water damage. I'd look around on the neck, to see if there are warps, curling of other areas, and warping/ twisting of the neck. Once wood gets wet and changes shape, the only way to even try to get it back to where it was, is heat/ moisture, and pressure. I think that's going to remain like that forever. I'd clean out the former mated area on the centerline- and fabricate a spline, shaped and fit into that opening. I'd likely use hide glue if it were a precise fit, and 24 hour cure epoxy if you're not an experienced woodworker, but can do some shaping. After it dries, I'd trim it flush, sand and spray some lacquer over the repair.

dkelley, 4001, T_Bone_TL and 5 others like this.
  20. Brich

Brich

Nov 18, 2013
    Ohio
    I've had two T40's that have had this same issue. One in the exact same spot (not as dramatic as yours), and one at the heel end in the bi-laminated neck. I've never had issues with them in terms of functionality/structure but I would do exactly as LHBassist stated.

dkelley likes this.