1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this for real? - 15 fret bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gbsmith71, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Yes, it's legit. I believe it was Fenders first attempt at a 5 string model and it used a more guitar like scale.

2. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    wow thats odd looking

3. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    Yep, that's the Fender Bass V. John Paul Jones had one. Even though it had five strings, they made it with less frets- it actually has the same range as a 20 fret four-string. Fender didn't think to extend the range, just the ease of getting to the high C and above.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I was all WTFing over the neck then I noticed the auction said it was "custom" with a Fender logo.

Weird how they were intended as a high C. With just 15 frets, that's exactly the same range as a normal 20-fret 4-string. :eyebrow:

5. Fair enough then.

6. The only Fender worth paying attention to!
    These need a reissue!
    :bassist:

7. Hard to beleive he started the action at $1.

8. one of these was reviewed in Bass Player a few months back by Dave Pomeroy.

9. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    As stated in the ad, this one doesn't have the original neck.
    The original had 32'' scale and a five-in-line headstock.

Can't help but think how the history of bass guitar had developed if fender hadn't so completely botched the implementation of the very good idea that was the Bass V.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Bass Vs have a 34" scale.

11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Not where the auction starts, it's where it finishes. :bassist:

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I played one of these a couple of years ago. It was $7000 or $8000 and without a doubt, it was the worst 5er and worst Fender I have ever played.

A shortscale, 15 fret 5er. THERE'S a brilliant idea!:rollno:

These are really for collectors only, I haven't seen anyone actually gig one since Jack Bruce or John Paul Jones in the '70's. Not Fender's best selling bass ever, either.

13. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Hello I owned an original one. It is 34" scale and is was tuned E to C. Instead of having to shift higher for higher notes you could shift across, that was the idea, and yes it was 15 frets...sounds like a vintage P. They are rare.The normal neck/headstock was 5 on one side as I remember.

14. Too bad it's a refin. Not that I'd buy it in the original sunburst, but it really is little more than a collector's piece.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

:scowl::rollno:

It's not a short scale, it's a 34" scale.

16. The amazing thing to me, particularly w/the innrnutz & all, is how little-known these things are. I had a poster of led Zeppelin on my wall in 8th grade(1977 or so)w/JPJ playing one.

17. That looks awesome.

18. Well, I think it's awesome! :smug:

19. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    [​IMG]

JPJ and his sunburst V. :cool: