Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this for real??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spots, Apr 13, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    ok im mega gassing for a lakland 55-02 but i haven't been able to try one. Im seriously considering ordering one from a local dealer and buying without trying but id be hesistant to do so cuz I'm all about the feel of the instrument and i want to know if its the right fit for me. I came across this on the bottom of the lakland site...

Wheelers & Dealers
    Test drive some new wheels. We now offer Lakland test drives at your local dealer, so go to our dealer page, find your local Lakland rep and call the store to set up a Lakland test drive. We'll ship a Lakland to them if they don't have one already, you can test it out and the dealer can send it back to us...assuming you don't fall in love with it. The program has been ongoing for a while now. We haven't received many returns, if you catch our drift!

Is this for real??!!
    Can I really head down to my local dealer (this small store) and have them have lakland send me a nice new lakland 55-02? Can i pick the specs i.e. fingerboard and finish? Are the built by lakland and sent or do they send a stock model? If they freshly build one and send it over for a trial my prayers will be answered! Anyone have any insight into this / success/ horror stories? THx
    spots

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I could not suggest trying one out before you buy it more. I LOVE my stingray so i always kinda thought a lakland was in my future. I played a few this weekend and absolutely hated them. Not to say they are bad basses, i just really didnt dig them at all. I also played 2 Carl Thompsons and hated them though so what do i know. If this program is all its cracked up to my id def do it.

3. You can only do that if your local dealer is a Lakland dealer listed on the dealer page at http://www.lakland.com/frames/dealers_frame.html

Mike

4. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    BUUUUMMP
    sry im really interested about this... :bassist:

5. So, is your local music store on the Lakland dealer list?

6. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    yes there are two stores in my area which are dealers on the lakland site.

Do i ask the dealer to do the paperwork or do i ask dan to send it to the dealer. Also would lakland send and stock bass or a "fresh" one?

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    The Skyline series, which includes the 55-02, isn't actually built by Lakland; they're built overseas to Lakland's specs. So if they happen to have what your looking for on hand you can probably get it, but they can't really build one just for you. Now, if you're going for one of the USA models ($$$), you can probably get whatever you want.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Needless to say, pick up the phone, call the dealer,
    see what he has available, and if you don't find a
    fit, discuss the program offer. Leave Dan to doing
    what he does best, this is why he has dealers, to
    take care of customers and to give them good service
    and advice.

There are a number of dealers that carry his line
    extensively, but without a general location in your
    profile it makes no sense to go there.

I would not recommend buying a bass you have not had
    the chance to play, that is a recipe for disaster.
    Many good instruments are expensive, and cater to
    musicians with different styles and tastes. Choosing
    a bass is quite an individual choice and you should
    shop enough that you are happy with your final
    selection.

9. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    yes sorry about the location...
    I can't seem to find in the options how to turn on location. I live in boston by the way. Near me is boston guitar and cambridge music. just to add...

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It is in the User CP section, edit profile. USER CP is at
    the top left on the upper menu bar.

Boston is a strong music market, [I'm in RI] and you
    should be able to find a bass similar to what you are
    looking for in town. Pick up the phone and ask! ;)

11. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I'm sure someone will pipe up to disagree with me on this, but if you can find a boutique store that carries the USA Laklands, try the 55-94 - the 55-02 that you're interested in has the same electronics and pickups and, to me, is essentially the same bass in terms of feel.

It was a major decision in me going with the 02. just my $.02 :cool:

12. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Well I went on a mega calling spree last week and found a lakland 55-01 with a maple board and a 44-02 with a maple board. I loved the feel of the 55-01 it was really smooth to me but i wanted more versatility like when i played the 44-02 i could get tons of tones out of it. I'm looking for a natural finish 55-02 with rosewood board and I can't seem to find a lakland with a rosewood board in the city to try.
    THank you for the location help. I will proceed to change it.