Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this for real??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Two Tobias basses on ebay, one a Classic-6, the other a Basic-6...the pics in the two adds are actually the same :meh: the location of the basses are in two diff states..the description for both are the same, including the "This is, quite frankly, the nicest bass I've ever played" part :meh: finally, one has a bid now for 1,425.00 the other 2,199.00 is the starting bid, and thats the Basic.

its almost midnight here, but did I miss something or does this seem like a fraud?? see links below

the basic link..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tobias-Basi...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the classic link

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tobias-Clas...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    Check out the feedback for the "seller" of the Classic 6 in California - no feedback since 2001! Like you noticed, the descriptions are the same, and they're both for the Basic 6.

Also, look at the feedback for the high bidder for the Classic 6. They have one feedback - for buying a $1500 guitar from the seller of the Basic 6! Quite a coincidence.

It looks like something strange is going on.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ehh, something seems a little fishy there. Funny thing is, though, that both sellers have positive feedback ratings (although rather low numbers of feedback for each). I wonder which one is the real auction and which is the imposter?? :confused:

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The "classic" is the imposter. It has less info about price, and the seller, although positive, hasn't had actual feedback since 2001, like guitarkim said.

5. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    We can see something is wrong, but EBAY cannot?? I would have a hard time believing that they dont see something strange here and check on it, or maybe their site is too big for that? :meh:

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think if a few of us report this 'oddity' then Ebay will investigate. I'm not shy and will email both sellers with some questions :eyebrow:

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Oops, didn't notice those details. I just glanced at the auctions. That makes sense.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Sorry, I am a bit slow today, Whats between a******!!

or should I not go there. :cool:

9. Hey guys - I saw this 2 nights ago and reported it to Ebay but had no response.I agree.One seems like a genuine auction, the other an unashamed scam.
    Scammers must die.My friend made a bid from here(Aust) on a Steve Via Jem and didnt ever get it.

10. Looks like it definately needed to be reported! Chances are, though, we'll never know anything except if Ebay pulls the auction or not. They never give out specific info back to the people reporting. I've reported before. A guy was selling bootleg discs and the only thing I heard back was that he was pulled. Nothing else.

And, yes, IMHO, the site's now way too big for Ebay to catch all this stuff. It's up to the viewers to help out by reporting this kind of thing. We'll see...