Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This For Real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Aug 22, 2001.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm looking to see if the screws for the P'up cover are there. Looks like they are. No reserve on that thing??? Could be a steal.

2. Yeah, I see the screws for the pickup cover but not for the bridge cover like on older Fenders. This guy is selling his son's bass and obviously knows nothing about it. It could be like a 1972 or something but It is definitely suspicious.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Look VEEEERRRRYYY closely. I think the holes ARE there for the bridge cover. Good call though. I'd check the serial number and see if you could get feedback from Fender on verifying the vintage.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Over at the FDP, Bill Bolton says he thinks it is a a '75 or '76. That's good enough for me.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

6. That's possible but don't those years have a three bolt neckplate. But then again, he said the serial number was 70400 so he probably changed it.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My 77 MIA Jazz has a 3 bolt plate.

8. Yes, and I've seen a '72 with a three bolt so I guess all thyears in betwwen would have the same. I think what we have here is a cheap project bass. late 70's neck, late 60's neckplate, probably a beat up 80's body, and just to sweeten the deal, no electronics.:D Just a pickup and some glued on knobs.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    can't comment on the authenticity of the bass but the description of the bass is very pseudo-neive:
    "hmm...thats my son's bass, I don't know what is it, hmm..they call it the precision bass I think...hmm...don't know what is it, really, it can't be worth more than 900$ hehe".

10. Pre-CBS necks didn't look like that. I had a '75 P-bass, and the headstock and black lettering looked exactly like that.

Mike J.

11. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The auction was ended early.

Looks like it was a scam that was found out.

This is one reason why bidders need to be careful when buying from Ebay. There are a lot of sharks out there...

12. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    how much would a real vintage precision bass go for?

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    People suck!

14. correct me if I'm wrong, but surely P basses have NEVER had three-bolt neckplates, even in the 70's?

I thought only Jazzes and Telecaster basses got the 3bolt treatment in the 70's. (according to Klaus Blasquiz's The Fender Bass book)

the blocky sunburst on that bass looks typical of the 70's.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

By "vintage" do you mean pre-CBS or just old?

Elderly Instruments has an April, `65 Precision, so it's not pre-CBS, offered at $5k.

I've seen some pre-CBS Precis's at Bass Palace going for $3k and up, but they always have non-original parts somewhere or they're refinished and that just kills the value.

But they had an all original pre-CBS Precis not too long ago and it was over $6k as I remember. If Japanese buyers get interested, forget it!

16. You are right. P basses never had the 3 bolt neck.

Bill Bolton is one of the world's leading authorities on Fender basses, and I would take his word for it by default.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i would never buy vintage intruments over ebay. Unless it was a pre-cbs jazz bass going for $50, and it didn't look like a scam.

18. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    so I take it you would never buy a vintage instrument off Ebay.